16 August 2014

Saturday Spotlight: A Kernel of Nonsense

What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.

DOSSIER

Name: Alicia (though I sometimes meander clandestinely online as moonglint)
Location: U.S. (more specifically, California)
Blog: A Kernel of Nonsense
Zodiac: Taurus (this may mean I’m stubborn)
Hogwarts House: Ravenclaw (according to Pottermore, which is not too surprising; I bet most bookworms end up in Ravenclaw.)
Left/Right Handed: Right handed
Fictional Soul Mate: Richard Campbell Gansey III from Maggie Stiefvater’s The Raven Boys
Fandoms: Harry Potter, The Raven Cycle, and the Chaos Walking Trilogy (I get really defensive about the characters in these series…sometimes my devotion is a little scary even to me)
Currently Reading: As I fill out these questions, I’m currently reading Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
Latest Review: Game by Barry Lyga

INTERROGATION TRANSCRIPT

What is your biggest reading regret?
I wish I could turn back time, so I could read more as a child. I liked books, but I was more attached to telling my own stories than reading them. As a result, I missed out on being exposed to a lot of children’s books (e.g., A Wrinkle in Time, The Chronicles of Narnia). I finally picked up A Wrinkle in Time and loved it! And I’m sure I would have loved it when I was a kid too.
What is your ideal reading spot/environment/comfort?
I love when it is quiet and that usually means getting away from people. Have you noticed how noisy people are? I used to be able to read with music on, but I guess I’ve spoiled myself with silence because now I need complete quiet. But ideally, I’d love to read while listening to the rain. Unfortunately, I live in California and we’re in a bit of a drought.
What are three things people may not know about you?
Well there are plenty of things people don’t know about me. It’s important to maintain a level of mystery in any given situation. So what secrets am I willing to give up?
  1. I have a strange fear of the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie. There’s just something about it that really freaks me out. So reading the book is completely out of the question.
  2. I don’t like spaghetti. Weird, huh? Everybody loves spaghetti, but I’m just not a fan.
  3. If I really don’t want to write a review of a book (and this is very rare), I won’t force myself. Reviewing books can be stressful at times and if I’m just not feeling it, I take a deep breath and let myself off the hook.
You’ve suddenly woken up in another time. When is it?
Does this include fictional time? Because I love the fantasy genre and ending up in a time with dragons, kingdoms, or magic of any kind would be pretty awesome.
You got the chance to pick one book before traveling through time. What did you pick?
Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers because a girl’s got to be prepared to defend herself in an unfamiliar world. This may be an extreme reaction.
Next, you get the chance to travel to your favorite fictional world. What is it?
Harry Potter’s world, of course. A chance to attend Hogwarts, receive my own wand, and see how talented (or not talented) I am at magic is an opportunity I simply could not resist! Plus, I’d be friends with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, go on all sorts of adventures and they could call us the Golden Quartet.
What is your favorite book or reading related quote?
“Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.” –G.K. Chesterton
Biggest literary-related pet peeve:
The mistreatment of library books, whether it be dog-eared pages, broken spines, or water marks, I cannot for the life of me figure out why people would treat something they are borrowing so disrespectfully. Does the occasional accident happen? Of course. It’s the deliberate ones that have me shaking my head like a disapproving grandma.
What is your favorite kind of character?
I like smart characters who are clever and curious, and above all equipped with common sense. Sometimes you read a book and you swear you’re watching a bad horror movie in which a character makes the most awful decisions.
The one book you’d recommend to anybody:
This is a difficult question because everyone is different, but I would recommend The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness to a large population of the world. I recently lent out my copy and am now figuring out how attached I am to it.

TRACKING INFORMATION

tumblr