12 July 2014

Top 5: Bad Books with Good Covers

I don't mean "bad" in a combative way.  But "Top 5 Books That Didn't Work For Me With Good Covers" doesn't have the same kind of punch.  That's essentially what this is, though, a list of five books that didn't work for me that had really nice covers.  (And despite the title, these are actually in no particular order.)

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross | Review
I know that girls-in-dresses is becoming an irritating trend for some, but I'm a big fan of how the text plays into this, color and design wise.

Everneath by Brodi Ashton | Review
Another dress, I know.  They're tiresome.  But there's something about this one that works well as a whole.  I think it gives off the right kind of vibe for the book.

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang | Review
I remember being struck by this the very first time I saw it, and to see the entire series lined up alongside each other is so awesome.  I love series with properly matching covers.  Also, I like how this one reflects the plot so well.  No arbitrary girls in dresses.  The one thing I don't like is how the author's name is in a paintbrush style font.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin | Review
Underwater.  Murky color scheme.  Pretty much wonderful all around.  The text I think is a bit gutsy because by making it partially transparent you run the risk of being unable to see it clearly.  But again, a series that looks beautiful lined up with one another.

Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano | Review
Three dresses in five covers.  It's almost enough to make a girl see red.  But the entire template for this book is rather charming.  The text and the white sketch art is reprised throughout the entire book, so that the entire thing comes together in a nice, distinctive sort of way.

what books didn't work for you but had great covers?