24 June 2014

My Bookish Things from A-Z

I'm all about the alphabet.  I try to use it whenever I can.  It calls to me with its siren song.  So it was impossible for me to resist when I saw Ashtyn's post on her blog.  Alphabet?  Oh, yes please.


Author You’ve Read the Most Books From
I nearly busted a blood vessel trying to figure out the math for this one.  Came out to be a fairly obvious answer: Tamora Pierce.  I have read 24 of her books.
Best Sequel Ever
I don't typically like second books.  They're the "slump" book in my mind.  Okay so this one is not a sequel in the traditional sense, but I know from an organizational standpoint, it is considered a sequel so.  Definitely Fire by Kristen Cashore.
Currently Reading
I can't just read one book at a time.  I always have a rotating stack:
  • All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin
  • Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon
  • Here, There Be Dragons by James A Owen
  • Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Drink of Choice While Reading
Oh I love drinking this awesome thing called water.  New thing that just came out.  Totally check it out!
E-Reader or Physical Book
Physical book.  Because if it can't stare me in the face, guilt tripping me from across the room, then I typically forget to read it.
Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Wanted to Date in High School
A surprisingly hard question because boys I like in fiction typically have girlfriends, and so for their sake I mentally keep my paws off.  But, I'll pretend that they're single and lonely and just waiting for a girl like me to come along:  (in no particular order here)
  • Sam from Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series
  • Gansey from Maggie Stiefvater's Raven Cycle
  • Po from Kristen Cashore's Graceling
  • Han from Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series
  • Wes from Sarah Dessen's The Truth About Forever
  • Eli from Sarah Dessen's Along for the Ride
  • Will from John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series
  • Day from Marie Lu's Legend series
  • Sam from Lish McBride's Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
  • Any of the gentleman demigods (let's just limit this to those who rode the Argo II) in Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson universe
  • Perry from Veronica Rossi's Under the Never Sky trilogy
Glad You Gave This Book A Chance
A Spy in the House by Y.S. Lee.  You'll see how well reading it paid off by my review.
Hidden Gem Book
Witchlanders by Lena Coakley.  If you don't already know how deprived you are having not read this book, there's no point in me trying to explain it to you.
Important Moment in Your Reading Life
When my mom read me Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling to me when I was five.
Just Finished
The Body at the Tower by Y.S. Lee
Kinds of Books You Won’t Read
Vampire books.  Only vampire book I've read and liked is Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst.  And I've read my fair share of vampire books, so I'm basically off of them entirely.  I don't think I can be persuaded otherwise.
Longest Book You’ve Read
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Major Book Hangover because of…
Any Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus book by Rick Riordan -- FEELS.  SO. MANY. FEELS.
Number of Book Cases You Own
4 - one with five shelves, and three with six
One Book You Have Read Multiple Times
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix -- I tallied it up one summer when I was ten.  I read or listened to this book over 50 times.  (Yes, this means that as soon as I was done with the book, I flipped right back to the front and started reading it again.)
Preferred Place to Read
Anywhere where I won't be bothered.  This includes moving vehicles.  Moving vehicles bother my stomach when I'm trying to read in them.
Quote You Love from a Book You’ve Read
I can't explain this quote.  It's just the first thing that popped into my head when I read this question.  It's from The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan.

"Hercules, huh?"  Percy frowned. "That guy was like the Starbucks of Ancient Greece. Everywhere you turn--there he is."
Reading Regret
I'm not very openminded about what I read.  I've gotten better (I've picked up classics and books I wouldn't normally read) but I'm very picky and have an extremely short tolerance for a lot of things that happen to be very popular in YA right now.  I wish I could just sit back and enjoy the books that everyone else loves.
Series You Started and Need to Finish
The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan.  This is not for lack of interest, but because I've been reading the series since I was twelve, I don't want it to end.  I've had to deal with the end of a series from my childhood before and I know it isn't pleasant.
Three All Time Favorite Books
I, like any shameless reader, have a hard time with this question. So I'm taking "all time favorite" to mean a book that I could read over and over and over again and never tire of.  This significantly shortens my list because it takes a special feeling for me to be able to reread a book.  So my top three would be: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling, Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs, and either The Scorpio Races or The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater.
Unapologetic Fangirl For
Any Percy Jackson universe book, and The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Very Excited for This Release More than others
I tend to forget books that're coming out.  This one though.  I would never forget.  The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan.
Worst Bookish Habit
It's kind of embarrassing.  Before I got into college (and money started to disappear with each semester), I would buy books that I wasn't even that excited about.  Books I had a gut feeling I wouldn't like and bought them anyway, over a book I had already read and had liked.  Thank God college's forced frugality cured me of that.
X Marks the Spot! Start at the top left hand corner of your shelf and pick the 27th book
Iron Kiss by Patricia Briggs
Your Last Bookish Purchase
Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst
Zzz Snatcher! The Last book to keep you up way too late
A Spy in the House by Y.S. Lee.  Threw off my sleeping schedule for days.
What did you think?  Hey, if you do this too, leave a link to your post in the comments and I'll come stop by. :)