22 March 2014

Saturday Spotlight: Bumbles & Fairytales

What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.

ABOUT THE BLOG

When did your blog come into existence?
My book-blog physically came to exist on December 27th, 2011 – but it existed in my mind about 4 or 5 months prior to that. I was already a blogger, card making / scrapbooking / art journaling, but I was creatively worn out and was looking for a new hobby, something that I could truly put all of my heart in. I really loved blogging and connecting with people, but I knew that I needed a break from what I was currently doing, but I didn’t want to stop blogging while I went on hiatus… My husband suggested I should do something with books; I didn’t think I could do anything with books at first. But I was determined, and was really interested in sharing what I was reading with others, and I also wanted to create a fun new way to keep track of what I was reading for myself. Bumbles and Fairy-Tales was born shortly after…
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
I like to mix things up on the ol’ blog; lately I’ve been addicted to cover reveals, lol! But, as far as being unique – I don’t like to stick to the same thing over and over again. I like to have a variety of books and genres being featured on there. Although, the majority of what is posted tends to be Young Adult, I do have a lot of middle grade and children books going up. And lately, I’ve been featuring a lot of New Adult and Adult Contemporary. I also like to think that my reviews are slightly different from other blogs, especially when I review a YA book, I like to give my opinion not only as a reader, but try to include what I would have thought of the books as a teen myself, and also, as a parent. There have been quite a few books that both sides of me just screams to be heard, therefore, I must share all thoughts.

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)?
I originally started blogging to share my cardmaking/scrapbooking layouts in August of 2008. My sister introduced me to blogger, and I was hooked! I loved the community of such wonderful and talented people. And was so eager to join in and share my creative side. So when I chose to book-blog, it came naturally. I have to admit, books and cardmaking are two totally different worlds! But, the whole blogging thing, I wasn’t as intimidated as a newbie would be.
Which book review of yours are you particularly proud of?
It would definitely have to be the first review I ever wrote, which was for Halflings by Heather Burch. I remember being so nervous when I hit the publish-button! And so anxious to see what would happen, if anybody would comment… and people commented! I was so relieved and happy! I knew that I would be able to continue without any fear or ridicule.
Is there a blog(s) that inspired you/still inspires you?
Yes, there are quite a few blogs that I have been following since I started book-blogging, and continue to inspire me everyday… they are each so uniquely different and wonderful! Each one has influenced my reading and/or blogging in some way…
Five books everyone should read:
  1. The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans (Adult)
  2. Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater (YA)
  3. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson (YA)
  4. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (YA)
  5. Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling (MG)

ABOUT THE GAL

What got you into reading?
Since I was a child I always loved going to the library, it was so peaceful and inviting. And all those books were a huge bonus! I have Amelia Bedelia to thank! I devoured all of her books! I knew I found something special, something that I loved to do... but, at that time, reading wasn’t the thing to do, it wasn’t encouraged in school like it is today.

I didn’t read much in my early teens, and only a few classics during high school. In my mid-twenties I picked up a small paperback (Stir of Echos) and fell into reading again and discovered Anne Rice and devoured everything by her. A little later, after hubs and I married, he started buying me books by Nicholas Sparks and Richard Paul Evans… swoon!!! And then I found Harry Potter! And adopted him in our lives! And soon after my obsession with Snape, when I first starting blogging, I came across a few creative bloggers that created things inspired by Twilight! And yes, I have to admit, Twilight is what got me into YA. I didn’t even know YA existed until Edward popped into my life!
What is your ideal reading spot?
I have two spots: in bed with all of my pillows and favorite blanket; and the right-side of the couch! I’m like Sheldon (from Big Bang Theory), I need that perfect spot with the right lighting, temperature, etc. And that is the ultimate comfy spot, and it’s all MINE! If any of my boys, including hubs, is in that spot, and I walk into the room, they instantly get up for me, lol!
What are three things people may not know about you?
  1. I like to dunk most of my desserts into my milk or hot cocoa… cookies, pound cake!
  2. I am Puerto Rican (a lot of people always assume that I am Italian) and can speak Spanish… and Spanglish ;)
  3. I am afraid of being too high. It’s not only a fear of heights; I have a fear of being on the 3rd floor to a building, the same as if I was on the 100th floor! I can’t help but think: what would happen if the floor collapses? I am currently living in my first home that has TWO sets of stairs! It’s a split-level home, from the main floor you can either go upstairs to the second floor, or downstairs to the finished basement which is not totally submerged underground kind of basement, it has windows and the ground outside comes up to your shoulders. So I consider my home as a two-story home! It took me about 4 months to get over my fear!... Mind over matter ;)
Which Hogwarts House would you be sorted into, and why?
I like to think that I have a little bit of every ‘house’ in me – nerve, loyalty, creativity and ambition! But the sorting hat has spoken: RAVENCLAW! For my creativity and love of learning; I am always dabbling in some sort of craft - scrapbooking, cardmaking, doodling… and I am a very curious person – always looking stuff up, always reading… and reading some more! Luna Lovegood and I would be the best of friend!
Your fictional boyfriend is:
Boyfriend? You mean, I can only have one? Why isn’t this plural – boyfriends??? Sorry, but I have a few!...

Edward from Twilight by Stephanie Meyer was my first true-book-love! It’s a little embarrassing now, having to admit it, but I cannot lie. He was my first, and I will always remember our special moments together…

Sam from The Wolves of Mercy Falls Trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater – this boy broke my heart! His sadness tore through me. I never felt so much for a character before him…

Daemon from the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout – this boy!!! Holy green-eyed aliens! There is no other guy like him! There aren’t enough words to describe how in-love I am with this one…
And, I guess if I was a guy, Magnus Bane from The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare! He is my newest obsession! I just finished book 3 and I can’t get enough – I know that I have a lot to look forward to with this one! And I cannot wait!!!