03 March 2014

Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi

The race to the Still Blue has reached a stalemate. Aria and Perry are determined to find this last safe haven from the Aether storms before Sable and Hess do--and they are just as determined to stay together.

Within the confines of a cave they're using as a makeshift refuge, they struggle to reconcile their people, Dwellers and Outsiders, who are united only in their hatred of their desperate situation. Meanwhile, time is running out to rescue Cinder, who was abducted by Hess and Sable for his unique abilities. Then Roar arrives in a grief-stricken fury, endangering all with his need for revenge.

Out of options, Perry and Aria assemble an unlikely team for an impossible rescue mission. Cinder isn't just the key to unlocking the Still Blue and their only hope for survival--he's also their friend. And in a dying world, the bonds between people are what matter most.

In this final book in her earth-shattering Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi raises the stakes to their absolute limit and brings her epic love story to an unforgettable close.
It is always a sad occasion to see a series end.  Trilogies are especially the worst because you know it's coming.  With a longer series, there's always something else to look forward to.  Trilogies are more "get in, make them love you, break their hearts on the way out."  From book one, Veronica Rossi snagged me with her electrifying world, her lovable characters, and exciting plots.  Into the Still Blue was a brilliant capper to this fantastic trilogy.

One of the biggest things that sticks out to me about this trilogy is how emotionally involved I get with the story.  The characters, with their wit and enthusiasm, turn me into a yelling maniac -- "What?!  He did not just saying that!  Is he asking to get punched in the face!?" -- whenever I pick up the book.  When things get crazy for Perry and Aria, my entire college campus hears about it.

My one complaint about Into the Still Blue specifically is that there seemed to be a step down in Veronica Rossi's writing style.  On multiple occasions throughout this book, I thought that a section seemed to be more like a rough cut first draft than something that had undergone death defying scrutiny.  There was a lot of telling, an overview of the action, and a lack of internalization on the character's part.  This created leaps in a character's thinking when they should be taking baby steps.

But Into the Still Blue was a great read, and a great capper to the Under the Never Sky trilogy.  As the climax neared, I didn't realize I was on the very edge of my seat and on the verge of a nervous breakdown, until my dad told me afterwards, "I thought you were going to bite off your knuckle."  Veronica Rossi has always managed to pack a ton of action into a mere four hundred page book.  She starts immediately with the action, and it hardly stops until the last page.

I was so excited to get to Into the Still Blue but now that it's over, I wish I had waited a bit longer.  Aria and Perry and Roar are fantastic characters with a fantastic story, and it's sad to see their stories end.  I hope, one day, Veronica Rossi will revisit the world of the Still Blue, for the stories that still lurk there.

Quotes
“People are imperfect, but that doesn’t mean they spoil like milk.”
He was terrible at falling—Roar was right about that—but nothing ever kept him down.
“There is no way forward that isn’t through pain.”
Book Info