15 February 2014

10 Books for Writers

I just want to put a little disclaimer in here, so that you are fully aware of the great moral dilemma I am facing by sharing the following titles with you:

Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.  So if you are writing with wild, passionate abandon, maybe you shouldn't take up any of these books.

Actually, I hope you don't.

The moment I became aware of my writing, the moment it stopped being a guilty pleasure, I lost my wild, passionate abandon.

Proceed with caution.*

  1. Your First Novel by Laura Whitcomb and Ann Rittenberg
  2. Novel Shortcuts by Laura Whitcomb
  3. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
  4. Story by Robert McKee
  5. Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
  6. On Writing by Stephen King
  7. The Courage to Write by Ralph Keyes
  8. Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
  9. A book that inspires the world you're working on (ex: Metamorphoses by Ovid)
  10. A book completely different from what you write or typically read (ex: Bread Givers by Anzia Yezierska)
* = so that may have been a tad overdramatic.  I was writing from a place of panic and despair.  (Oh wow, dramatic much? Again?)  These books really are fantastic and have helped me.  They are my references and go-to manuals for the writing craft.  All recommendations that you have are welcome. :)