Sometimes ignorance really is bliss. So if you are writing with wild, passionate abandon, maybe you shouldn't take up any of these books.
Actually, I hope you don't.
The moment I became aware of my writing, the moment it stopped being a guilty pleasure, I lost my wild, passionate abandon.
Proceed with caution.*
- Your First Novel by Laura Whitcomb and Ann Rittenberg
- Novel Shortcuts by Laura Whitcomb
- Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
- Story by Robert McKee
- Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
- On Writing by Stephen King
- The Courage to Write by Ralph Keyes
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- A book that inspires the world you're working on (ex: Metamorphoses by Ovid)
- A book completely different from what you write or typically read (ex: Bread Givers by Anzia Yezierska)
* = so that may have been a tad overdramatic. I was writing from a place of panic and despair. (Oh wow, dramatic much? Again?) These books really are fantastic and have helped me. They are my references and go-to manuals for the writing craft. All recommendations that you have are welcome. :)