13 January 2014

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce

Knight Vision
Alanna of Trebond is no ordinary girl -- her dream is to become a knight.  So she disguises herself as a boy and begins training at the palace of King Roald.  Alanna quickly finds out that the road to knighthood is not an easy one, but her skills and stubbornness help her become friends with Prince Jonathan and his followers.  At the same time, Alanna makes an enemy of the prince's uncle, the overly charming Duke Roger.

Here begins Alanna's first adventure -- one that will lead not only to the fulfillment of her dreams but to a magical destiny that will make her a legend.
*This is a mini review*

Tamora Pierce has always been a favorite author of mine and I definitely see her as a source of inspiration for my own writing.  Alanna: The First Adventure is a fantastic story, the first of many.  This is my second time reading it and it never disappoints.

The story, in my opinion, is only as good as its main character, and Alanna is fantastic.  She's charming with her wit and steel backbone.  Sometimes, though, I think her pride results in several bruises and broken bones that otherwise could have been avoided.  However, I am a big fan of her stubbornness and determination to stay true to the person she wants to become.

What captures me most, I think, is the world.  So expansive and well painted.  More than once, I have wished to be transported to Tortall.  It is a world that I look to for inspiration when I'm working on my own world-building.  It's intriguing and treacherous and beautiful, just like Alanna's story.

Book Info
  • pages - mass market paperback, 274
  • published - 2005 (originally 1983)
  • publisher - SimonPulse
  • genre - fantasy
  • received via - Amazon
  • rating - 5/5
  • series - Song of the Lioness
    • Alanna: The First Adventure
    • In the Hand of the Goddess
    • The Woman Who Rides Like A Man
    • Lioness Rampant