01 December 2013

What I'm reading this week


I'm a bit of a freak, I know.  I prefer to read a whole stack of books at once whenever I don't have a must-have read on my shelf.  (I do currently have a must-read on my shelf, Champion by Marie Lu, but I'm planning on rereading the first two Legend books before starting on Champion.  So that's for winter break.)  The only two books that I haven't actually started yet are Icons by Margaret Stohl and A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge.

So from top to bottom:

Lioness Rampant by Tamora Pierce | In the past week, I've already reread the first three books of the Song of the Lioness series: Alanna: The First Adventure, In the Hand of the Goddess, and Woman Who Rides Like A Man.  Tamora Pierce is one of my all-time favorite fantasy authors and since my current writing project is an elaborate fantasy, I'm sniffing for inspiration.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling | Another reread.  (Obviously.)  Again, I'm plumbing the depths for inspiration.  I'm attempting to identify what exactly Tamora Pierce and JK Rowling do that makes their stories so wonderful.  How do I bring that into my story?

Beyonders: A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull | Picked this up, along with the rest of these mentioned, from Half-Price Books during their Black Friday event.  I had seen Brandon Mull's Beyonders book before, but had never given it much thought.  When I saw the first book there on the shelf, and in good condition, I figured, "Why not?"  So far, it is fabulous.

The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge | I will be quite frank.  I was fascinated with this book when it first came out, but it was one of those books I never picked up because there was something stopping me from actually getting it.  After seeing it at HPB, I just thought I needed a change up in material, some small break from all the fantasy swirling around in my head.  So far, it is coming together as a fantastic world.  Loving the first fifty pages.

A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge | I had never heard of this before I saw it in HPB and even now, after turning it over and nearly starting it for the past day, I don't have much of an impression of it.  We'll see how it goes.  It looks great.

Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver | A couple of months ago, I had resolved myself to the fact that I wouldn't be getting myself around to picking this up, but upon seeing it at a decent price at HPB, I figured I should get it.  And so far, it's wonderfully intoxicating and compelling.

Icons by Margaret Stohl | I'm iffy with this, but that's just a first impression.  I haven't actually started it yet.  We'll see.

Frozen by Melissa de la Cruz and Michael Johnston | I was not a fan of de la Cruz's Blue Blood series when I first tried reading it a long time ago, but after seeing Melissa at YALLFest for two years in a row, I figured I should pick up her book when I saw it at a good price at HPB.  So far, it's proving very promising.  Many good signs.