02 March 2013

Saturday Spotlight: The Fiction Conniption

What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.




ABOUT THE BLOG

When did your blog come into existence?
July of 2012
Your blog in three words:
Personal, swoonish, hectic
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
For me, what makes it so unique is that it’s the only place I have that I can really express my love for reading. I like to think that every blog is really only made unique by the blogger, and how they choose to express themselves and try to get their passion across to the readers.
How did you come up with your blog name?
I went through a few different possibilities before settling on The Fiction Conniption. For the first couple weeks my blog was HD’s Reading Corner – and then I was lying in bed one night, thinking of words that rhyme with fiction (that’s a normal thing to do, right?) and realized what an awesome word conniption was. And how that’s exactly how I get about books, I go into a mode where I have a full on freak out, aka, conniption.

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)?
I wish I could remember exactly how I stumbled across the book blogging community. I just know that as soon as I did, I was like, “Whoa! I gotta be part of this!” I think I stumbled across Parajunkee’s blog, and then checked out some of the other blogs linked to her, and realized that the community was super friendly and welcoming, and it gave me the courage to start my own blog to try to meet people who shared that interest with me.
Do you have a review that you’re particularly proud of?
I’m pretty proud of my review of Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares. Not that I think it was some extraordinary review or anything, more because that book had me crying so hard I’m amazed I was able to stop long enough to write anything vaguely coherent.
Is there a blog that inspired you/still inspires you?
Cuddlebuggery book blog for sure – every single post those girls writes makes me laugh out loud. They crack me up.
What excites you most about being a book review blogger?
The books! I was never really all that aware of all the incredible books that come out each year until I really started paying attention. Goodreads has been a huge help – I can get lost on that site for hours.
Five books everyone should read:
Oh, this is such a mean question. How could I possibly choose?
I’ll do my best!
  1. Splintered by A.G. Howard (Because it’s full of pure awesome.)
  2. A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers (This book is so beautiful, I’ve read it probably 12 times.)
  3. The Princess Bride by William Goldman (If you liked the movie, you will adore the book. It is even funnier!)
  4. The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle (An Amish paranormal book, come on, how can you not?)
  5. The Selection by Kiera Cass (Great if you’re looking for a fun, light, quick read.)
If a new blogger came up to you for advice, what would you tell them?
Be yourself. Be happy with your blog for what it is, and dream big about what it could be.

ABOUT THE GAL

What got you into reading?
I was homeschooled as a kid, so I didn’t have a whole bunch of friends and didn’t spend a whole lot of time outside the house. I also had an annoying little brother, so hiding in my room with a book was a perfect escape.
What is your ideal reading spot?
I love to read in bed at night.
Do your friends and family know about your blog?
Kind of. My husband knows, but he’s not a reader so he’s not all that interested, which is fine. My family knows that I have a blog about books, but that’s all they know – none of them actually know the name or address of it.
What are three things people may not know about you?
  1. I have a small online business selling crochet dog clothes and patterns.
  2. I’m a pretty hard-core couponer.
  3. In person, I’m painfully shy and awkward.
If you had a superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it?
This one is totally self-serving. I’d give anything to be able to move things with my mind. Doing the dishes without have to actually get up off the couch would be GREAT.