03 March 2013

In My Mailbox (109)


I was introduced to a brilliant place this past week.  (How one of my friends who has NO time to read knew about this and I didn't... Oy.)  Apparently, fairly close by, there's a used bookstore tucked into a very nice pavilion area called The Last Word.  My friend took me there, said it would blow my mind.  Nevermind that he'd awoken the book-buying fanatical monster that I had so carefully stored away deep in my soul.  When Borders went out of business, I stopped buying at bookstores.  I bought stuff online and saved myself a TON of money.  And now I've got a used bookstore close by -- CLOSE BY -- that has a great selection for dirt. cheap. prices.

What's a girl to do?

Firstly, I was proud of myself.  I walked out of there with a single book.  ONE. SINGLE. BOOK.  I spent less than two bucks for it, too.  However.  Ever since, I've been doing some thinking in the back of my mind... about, maybe, scrounging up some money and go back for a real shopping trip.

See, when I told my friend they were awakening a monster, I was speaking rather literally.  Stay tuned for updates.

This week, most of my haul came from the library.

Tris's Book by Tamora Pierce
Circle of Magic #2
My only purchase from The Last Word (this time around).  Know how much I got this for?  $1.80.  And it's in great condition for a mass market paperback.  It was SUCH a steal!  Thanks to The Last Word, I'll be able to build up my collection of Tamora Pierce books.

The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton
The Faerie Ring #1
I've had this on my wish list for a couple of years now, since before it came out.  I don't know why it's taken me so long to finally check it out, but alas!  Here it is!

The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski
Fellow readers have been telling me about they've heard a lot of great things about this one.  I checked it out mostly because the cover is really interesting.  And apparently, it isn't a series(?), and I'm pretty unexperienced in terms of stand alone novels (outside of contemporaries) so this ought to be interesting.

The Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent
The Unnaturalists #1
Another steampunk.  (How had I ended up with all steampunks from the library?)  Another cover draw here.  I love what they did with the text.  Kudos.

I guess the reason I ended up with all steampunks from the library this week was because I am seriously on a quest to find a steampunk that I really, really like.  It's gotta be out there somewhere, right?

what did you get in your mailbox?