16 February 2013

Saturday Spotlight: The Reader's Den

What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.

Jasprit @ The Reader's Den


ABOUT THE BLOG

When did your blog come into existence?
I first started my blog last March; the time has seriously flown by as I’ve been having so much fun. I can’t believe it’s almost been a year I’ve been blogging.
Your blog in three words:
Contemporary, fun and passionate.
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
I always try to put as much passion in my reviews as possible. I always give my honest opinion, but never slate a book. It’s always a great feeling to know someone enjoyed a book as much as you did because of your recommendation.
How did you come up with your blog name?
My friend actually came up with the name, I was tossing about names with my sister for ages but nothing would stick. But when my friend suggested The Readers Den I just knew it was perfect.

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)?
I had been following some of my favourite book blogs for a while I’d always wanted to start my own blog but had no clue where to start so used to post my reviews onto Goodreads. It wasn’t until my sister suggested I start my own blog and a few other of my close friends started their own blog that I decided to finally go for it too.
Do you have a review that you’re particularly proud of?
Flawed by Kate Avelynn. It was a book which completely tore me apart, so it was so hard tried to write my review whilst keeping by feelings in check and trying not to give away too many spoilers in the process.
Is there a blog that inspired you/still inspires you?
Sam from Realm of Fiction. She was such a great help when I first started my blog and I always enjoyed popping to her blog and reading her fresh and enthusiastic reviews. She definitely contributed some great book recommendations to my tbr pile.
What excites you most about being a book review blogger?
Discovering so many great bloggers that share my passion and enthusiasm for reading, but especially when they have similar tastes to my own and I end up discovering so many great reads at the same time.
Five books everyone should read:
  1. Shadows by Paula Weston
  2. Just One Day by Gayle Forman
  3. This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers
  4. The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna
  5. Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson
If a new blogger came up to you for advice, what would you tell them?
That setting up your blog at first can be the most hard thing (especially if you didn’t have a clue like me) but once it’s set up it’s the most fun you can ever have especially when you start getting to know other great bloggers in the blogging community and it’s also a great feeling when you know people are stopping by on your blog to read your reviews and are picking up books based on your recommendations.

ABOUT THE GAL

What got you into reading?
I’ve always been on avid reader since I was little. I think this was largely because my mum was a big reader too. I used to love visiting the library with my sisters and coming home with a big stack of books and whizzing through them in a few days. But because of school and college I had to put my reading on hold. But now that I’ve finished I can read as much as I can around work.
What is your ideal reading spot?
I love curling up in bed with my book, the weather here has been quite erratic, (we’ve got a late winter) so my bed is definitely become the best spot to read in.
Do your friends and family know about your blog?
Just my close friends and family know about my blog. I’m not one to tell everyone, I know that I have my own blog I think it’s because I’m still nervous about other people reading my reviews.
What are three things people may not know about you?
I’m an avid sports fan. I went to see David Blaine in London when he was attempting his 44 day fast. One of my favourite TV shows is Top Gear.
If you had a superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it?
Teleportation, so that I could teleport to the US, Australia etc and get my hands on books on their actual release date. Also I’ve always wanted to travel, so having this superpower would be perfect.