08 January 2013

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.

So rarely do I forge such a connection with a book -- and now a series -- that I want to take the time to go back and reread it.  But Veronica Rossi's masterful writing ability has put her on the level with Tamora Pierce, Kristen Cashore, and Patricia Briggs in my eyes.  She created a set of characters I would totally want to sit around a campfire with, and a world that I would love not just to visit, but to live in.  Through the Ever Night was an exciting second installment that was well worth the eternity I spent waiting for it.

Normally, the second book in a series (and especially in a trilogy) is the lumpy middle that flops.  That is not the case here.  Veronica Rossi doesn't do anything halfway, she doesn't just write a scene to churn out words.  Every page is packed to the brim with action and progression and growth so before I knew it, I was nearly finished with the book and only a day had gone by.

It was so easy to slip into the world where Aria and Perry and Roar were just trying to carve out a future for themselves.  I loved how there were so many obstacles in the way of Aria and Perry's relationship and how, just because they were together didn't mean that everything was rainbows and butterflies (and heavy make-out scenes).  These characters, what with their struggles, their vulnerabilities, and their strengths, took up a long standing residence in my heart.  Each one popped off the page and into my mind like a mischievous spirit.  It's so rare to find characters that do that, come alive in a way that suggests Veronica Rossi didn't just make them up for entertainment.  I love that quality about her storytelling; it's one of the things that keeps me coming back for more.

The world of the Under the Never Sky trilogy is so rich and expansive in its scope that things I see in real life remind me of it.  Like how I put on the soundtrack to Tarzan to bring me back to the world of aether storms and Blood Lords.  I love how there isn't an overwhelming amount of information about how the world works: Rossi shows us the inner workings when Perry goes out to deal with a farming problem, or when Aria fractures to a Realm.  For a "newbie" author, Veronica Rossi tells a story like an old pro.

Through the Ever Night was a fantastic second installment of the Under the Never Sky trilogy, picking up where the first book left off, and leaving such a cliffhanger and so many loose threads, sometimes I wonder whether or not everything's going to be tied up in the next book.  And then I remember how well Veronica Rossi packs a beast of a story into three hundred pages, and I'm left buzzing to find out what happens next.

Book Info

  • pages - hardcover, 352
  • published - January 2013
  • publisher - HarperCollins
  • genre - dystopian
  • received via - author
  • rating - 5/5
  • series - Under the Never Sky
    • Under the Never Sky
    • Through the Ever Night
    • Into the Still Blue