12 January 2013

Saturday Spotlight: Lust for Stories

What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.



ABOUT THE BLOG

When did your blog come into existence?
I started blogging mid-June this year.
Your blog in three words:
Odd bookish thoughts
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
I feel like what makes my blog unique is what makes every blog unique, if that makes any sense. It carries the essence, the spirit, and the speaking style of the blogger, or in this case, myself. If you read my posts, it definitely sounds like myself.
How did you come up with your blog name?
Around the time I began blogging, I was obsessed with Jeri Smith-Ready’s books, one of which was called Lust For Life. Because I had Jeri’s book titles running through my head all day, I eventually derived Lust For Stories from that particular title.

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)?
To be honest, Lust For Stories was a spur-of-the-moment decision. I only discovered the realm of book blogging mere months ago, and thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then I just basically went like, “I want to do this, now.”
Do you have a review that you’re particularly proud of?
The reviews I’m most proud of are still drafts, because I have so much I want to pour into them and tweak to perfection. But a few close runner ups are my reviews of Don’t Turn Around by Michelle Gagnon and Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer. I thought I managed to pinpoint a lot of good and not-so-good things about those books and constructed through reviews with the details.
Is there a blog that inspired you/still inspires you?
This is where the fan-girling begins. Amelia, right here, is my go-to blogger for what books I should read. Another would be Giselle from Book Nerd mostly because of her reviewing style: quick, through, and covers the bases. Kelly from Radiant Shadows makes me love her because she writes the most amazing discussion posts ever, something I’d want to do in the future. Lastly, Asher from Paranormal Indulgence writes blog posts with this bubbling enthusiasm that I can’t help but envy. Even if you only read her posts, you can easily imagine her somewhere actually in your life instead of miles away across the internet.
What excites you most about being a book review blogger?
Are you kidding? I mean, I love my best friends, but they’re not hard-core readers like me. Our derpiness is perfect for discussing the merits of a petting zoo in school during exam days to lower stress levels, but whenever I start ranting about something bookish, the only response I’d get are weird twitchy-eye stares. When I slip into my book blogger persona, I can connect with a vast audience who understand how I feel.
Five books everyone should read:
  1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak – The way Markus Zusak writes Death’s narrative is amazing. Suddenly you don’t really think of him as a bad guy, and could totally imagine him coming over for tea to debate the state of humanity.
  2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green – Why??? Why, Mr. Green? Did you have to break my heart that much with just a single book?
  3. The List by Siobhan Vivian – Ahh, the viciousness of high-school life and drama has never been as perfectly worded with such honesty and grit.
  4. My Life in Black and White by Natasha Vivian – Character development level: 9000+
  5. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein – Yes, it’s a picture book. But it’s also a story about love, sacrifice, and growing up.
If a new blogger came up to you for advice, what would you tell them?
Please, do your research, and even write a few weeks worth of posts beforehand. I totally wish I’d done that in the past instead of jumping right in. Feel like you want to step back for a little while and come back? By all means. Taking a break and returning with a kickass comeback is better than dragging along your drained self. And above all, do it for yourself. Your blog is yours to do what you wish.

ABOUT THE GAL

What got you into reading?
I always read a lot as a kid, but I never got into it seriously until grade four. My teacher did our first novel study on a fantastically chosen story, let us explore poetry, music, just about everything, and always tied it up in this way that just made me crave reading more and more.

Another would be the annual book fair we had in elementary school, around the time when The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong released and I saw my friend pick it up. The cover had me sold, and I immediately looked it up in the library catalogue, and, voila, I discovered the beautiful genre of YA.
What is your ideal reading spot?
My bed. I do almost everything there, my homework, my reading, my lounging. OH, BLANKETS, HOW YOUR ALLURING COMFORT DRAGS ME TO YOUR SIDE.
Do your friends and family know about your blog?
My best friends know about my blog, and while they probably find it a really odd hobby, they understand my book obsession and are probably just relieved I don’t word-barf every day about books to them.
What are three things people may not know about you?
  1. I’m Canadian. I’m also Chinese by blood, but born in Taiwan so technically I’m Taiwanese. And I look nothing like the stereotypical Chinese. Really. You could probably make a ton of Canadian and/or Chinese jokes about me, but I fit into almost none of the stereotypes. And no, I don’t ride polar bears to school. Cool kids ride caribous ;)
  2. I also can’t cook, which totally shoots the sexist “women in the kitchen” joke down. Seriously. Hand me a frying pan and I’ll probably look at you with a terrified look on my face. The lack of that particular set of skills will probably reduce me to eating toast and raw cookie dough when I go off to university.
  3. I play several instruments, including the piano, saxophone, clarinet, and violin. I’m not going to say I’m any good at them, but I don’t suck. Hopefully.
If you had a superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it?
I’d love to be able to control time in whatever way I want. Think about it. Sleep in as late as I want, unlimited reading time, never be late for socials class again. Perfect? I think so.