26 January 2013

Saturday Spotlight: 21 Pages

What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.

Linna @ 21 Pages

ABOUT THE BLOG

When did your blog come into existence?
Sometime in 2010, I believe, also an era where I started to procrastinate MEGA HARD and needed a new way to avoid doing work.
Your blog in three words:
Inconsistent, random, rambly.
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
Me, I guess. XD I’ve ‘grown up’ a lot, so to speak, just in the two years that my blog has existed, and I’ve developed my own voice. I also have almost more fun messing with the layout than I do writing, haha. Writing is really hard to feel motivated about, but aesthetics are important to me too. (I’m guessing this is why people bothered sticking around in the first place. ;o)
How did you come up with your blog name?
I didn’t come up with it at first; it was the result of several attempts of trying to find a name that wasn’t taken already in the sign-up process for some hosting domain. 21 pages was a random, spur-of-the-moment decision that was also based on a short story of the same length that had really wowed me (Lunch With Lenin by Deborah Ellis :P). My random decision actually ended up determining what my blog was going to be about-- initially, I had picked broad, general, names because I was going to write about all sorts of things, but after 21 pages ended up being the choice I decided to focus on books! Oh, but there was some strategic decision-making going on. I get listed first in blog rolls. ;D

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)?
It started because... there was a layout I wanted to use, LOL. That’s how a lot of my internet exploits start, I admit. I really love tinkering away on another personal project, I get a little obsessed, actually, but my writing stamina wears out really quickly. I always get the itch to come back sooner or later, though. I haven’t updated in a while but I have some things planned. ;)
Do you have a review that you’re particularly proud of?
Oh gawd, I’m embarrassed by the majority of them. I guess I’ll say The Piper’s Son, not because it’s particularly well-written, but because that the review I want everyone to read. Because it encompasses the blubbing mess I am after a spectacular book. It’s maybe the closest I’ll get to even attempting to describe how amazing Melina Marchetta is.
Is there a blog that inspired you/still inspires you?
So many, oh god!! In Which a Girl Reads was one of the first blogs I ever read and loved, because there was such a strong voice in all her posts, plus the writing was phenomenal. FYA was one of my favorites, for their unrestrained hilarity/craziness. I admire Steph Su’s professional, super-skilled reviewing skills, although I give up on trying to sound like I know what I’m talking about and would rather resort to insanity posts.
What excites you most about being a book review blogger?
Meeting people who love the same books you do! It’s the absolute best thing in the world.
Five books everyone should read:
  1. Okay For Now by Gary D. Schmidt
  2. Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
  3. Everything by Melina Marchetta (I am a dirty rotten cheater)
  4. Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness (lolol cheating here too)
  5. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
I think there are really important books out there that are already so widely read that I’m keeping this list to those overlooked ones that don’t get as much attention o/
If a new blogger came up to you for advice, what would you tell them?
Don’t make your blog into some advertisement flyer. Getting ARCs for review is fun and all, but you don’t need to turn all your posts into generic contest-filled stuff that people don’t really read. You don’t have to be ~super special unique~ but try to bring out some sort of voice when you write, especially if it’s something you care about. And go out there and make friends! I’ve met so many fantastic people in the blogosphere, it’s one of the most rewarding aspects you can ever get out of this- meeting people who share the same passion you do.

ABOUT THE GAL

What got you into reading?
My sister! She’d go out there and brings books back home with her, and I’d pick up anything she had on hand. She’s four years older than me, so it also means I was reading a bit ahead of my level. I remember not understanding most of what I read, but loving it anyway, lol. I read VORACIOUSLY all throughout my childhood years, and I would’ve gone mad without libraries. Some of the best, most important books I’ve ever read came from checking out random stuff from whatever the library had available; it forced me to try things I wouldn’t have otherwise, and it’s had a huger impact than I could ever describe.
What is your ideal reading spot?
In bed with a lot of pillows or a big comfy couch. With a warm cup of something and a snack nearby. :) Although for all of my favorite books, what I remember from the experience is staying up all night in bed holding it up to a tiny light until the sun comes up. It’s a good thing for my health and well-being that those are far and few between eh?
Do your friends and family know about your blog?
My family does, because of the books that come in the mail. They think it is a Big Deal even though it really isn’t lol. I’ve never felt the need to bring it up with my friends but if they stalk me online and find it I don’t mind! Classmates/notfriends though I hope never find it, because I wrote some embarassingly bad things in the past. I mean, look at that 2011 awards post, I was high on sugar when I wrote that, and I’m strangely proud of it but I don’t want people outside the blogosphere to find it.
What are three things people may not know about you?
  1. I have no common sense and am just about the most street-dumb person out there, although you’d know this if you follow me on twitter :P
  2. I’m studying computer science! I love words and literature to a ridiculous degree, even if the two passions don’t seem to mix, hehe.
  3. I am a huge fan of comedy. It is an art form, despite the fact that I have no standards and will pretty much laugh at anything!
If you had a superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it?
Ahhhh I can’t choose. Tell the future, maybe? So I can avoid doing stupid things, worry less, and win the lottery, lol. Less of an obvious choice, but I’d also love the ability to teleport anywhere, any time. My first destination would be somewhere warm and tropical, it is insanely cold right now!