27 January 2013

In My Mailbox (104)


Not an overly productive week for me in the review department, but hey, any week that I get an ARC of a book I really, really want as well as anything by Ally Carter, it's a good week.  And we unfortunate Southerners here in North Carolina got this thing called "frozen fog" which was really cool.  It looked like it had snowed, but alas, it had not.  So, epic thanks to Mother Nature for sending us some actual winter weather. :3

Library
The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine
Morganville Vampires #2
Even though the first book, Glass Houses, didn't exactly reduce me to a fan-girly mess, it still piqued my interest enough to continue with the series.  I'm about sixty pages into Dead Girls' Dance and so far it's... about the same as the first.

The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
Fire and Thorns #2
I remember loving the first book, even if I didn't remember much of what happened in Girl of Fire and Thorns.  But this one?  Oh my gosh -- LOVED IT.  I'd read almost three hundred pages in one day, that was how into the story I was.

iBookstore
Double Crossed by Ally Carter
A Spies and Thieves Story
Oh my gosh -- the Gallagher Girls chilling with the Heist Society peeps!?  As soon as I heard about this, I knew I had to get it.  I'm little less than halfway through now and it's crazy good so far.  So excited to finish it.

Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. Naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, the convent views Sybella as one of their most dangerous weapons.

But those assassin’s skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. Her father’s rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother’s love is equally monstrous. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?

This heart-pounding sequel to Grave Mercy serves betrayal, treachery, and danger in equal measure, bringing readers back to fifteenth century Brittany and will keep them on the edge of their seats.
Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers (ARC)
His Fair Assassin's #2
Special thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Books for Young Readers for passing a copy of this along to me. :)  I absolutely loved Ms. LaFevers first book, Grave Mercy, and am on tenterhooks for this sequel.