06 January 2013

In My Mailbox (102)


Happy New Year, y'all!

A few changes here at le blog.  For instance, my layout!  If you're a veteran of my blog, you may have noticed that I have the attention span of a cocker spaniel and my interest varies constantly, so this is one in a string of layout changes I've made in the three years I've had this shindig.  I've learned a lot in terms of HTML and CSS in the past few weeks, however, and my newly crafted talents are put into this new layout.  :)  I hope you all like it!  Let me know what you think in the comments. :)

In life, my cat is getting declawed.  She was a real terror at the vet's office when we took her in to get her shots updated.  Finally, I have proof that my cat is the devil I have always claimed she is.  All I have to do is point out the chunks of flesh she took out of two aids at the vet's office to convince my friends I was right all along.

I got a huge haul from the library this week!  What you see below is three books short of this month's reading list for me.  (I have yet to get Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine and Crown of Embers by Rae Carson from the library and The Casual Vacancy is off my own bookshelf.)  So behold!

 The Dead Girls Detective Agency by Suzy Cox | The superb cover caught my eye when it first came out and somehow it got on my working to-read list for this month.  I thought, "Hey, it looks cool.  I'll read it!"  I'm currently reading it and it's a really cute read so far!

The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke | This one was flashing around Goodreads like they do occasionally and I saw that it was blurbed by Christopher Paolini.  I read the summary and I now await in breathless anticipation for the book to live up to my expectations.

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff | This one caught my eye when I saw the UK cover.  (Why do the Brits always get the coolest covers!?  They got Harry Potter, why can't they give us some cool covers!?)  I don't remember reading the summary for this one; the cover was enough for me.

Witches of East End by Melissa de la Cruz | I read (or tried to read) Blue Bloods when it first came out a long time ago, but I couldn't get into the series because of all the impromptu fashion references.  I haven't tried to read anything of Melissa de la Cruz's since, but Witches of East End caught my eye in the buzz it stirred before it came out.  I haven't read a lot of witch novels that I've been impressed with, but I hope this one surpasses my expectations. :)

In the Forests of the Night by Kersten Hamilton | I have no idea why I checked this one out.  I didn't like the first book, Tyger Tyger, so I'm left staring at this one and wondering, "Why is this in my hand?"  Y I NO MAKE SENSE?  Anyways, I am a bit curious as to what happens in this one despite my disapproval of the first book.

Ironskin by Tina Connolly | I saw this one before it came out and was immediately captured by the summary.  I'm all for kickass heroines.  Let's hope this one turns out better than the usual definition of a kickass heroine.

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole | Normally, the cover would be enough to put me off this book and the summary doesn't present much more hope for me, but hey, I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone and not judge so much.  Call it a New Years Resolution.

Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick | My giddy love affair with this series ended with the first book.  However, I've continued to read each book as they came out, and since this is the final book, I know I've got to see this series through to the very end.  So, while Nora grates on my nerves and Patch makes me look for a lego to put under his foot, I am still curious about how this thing ends.

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang | This book blew up the blogosphere -- still is, really.  So my mission is to find out what all the fuss is about.

what did you get in your mailbox?