24 January 2013

Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick

Will love conquer all?

Nora and Patch thought their troubles were behind them. Hank is gone and they should be able to put his ugly vendetta to rest. But in Hank's absence, Nora has become the unwitting head of the Nephilim and must finish what Hank began. Which ultimately means destroying the fallen angels - destroying Patch.

Nora will never let that happen, so she and Patch make a plan: lead everyone to believe they have broken up, and work the system from the inside. Nora will convince the Nephilim that they are making a mistake in fighting the fallen angels, and Patch will find out everything he can from the opposing side. They will end this war before it can even begin.

But the best-laid plans often go awry. Nora is put through the paces in her new role and finds herself drawn to an addictive power she never anticipated.

As the battle lines are drawn, Nora and Patch must confront the differences that have always been between them and either choose to ignore them or let them destroy the love they have always fought for.

Aha, the series I love to hate.  I picked up Finale out of a sense of obligation: I'd read the first three books, and hey, it's the last one so might as well, right?  I couldn't even see it through to the very end.  Two hundred pages and I had to call it quits.  I had no interest in the plot, the characters grated on my very, very last nerve and the writing, which had lost its appeal after the first book, was not a great help. For me, Finale was just the capper of a long journey of irritation and strained patience.

"Will love conquer all?"  Not only do I question the way the word "love" is used in this series, if Nora has anything to do with it, I very much doubt anything will survive.  With Nora, it was just an epic case of "Really?  You're that naive?"  I can't get behind characters who can't make up their mind on something and stick with it through to the end.  Flitting between decisions like a drunk butterfly with a dislocated wing and an insecurity complex did nothing to make me sympathize with Nora.  That, and she lets people push her around (when she's "supposed" to be in charge) and generally being irritating.  I just want to tell her to go sit down somewhere.

None of the other characters picked up the slack for me.  Patch's brooding and badass all-black attitude was sexy in the first book, but now?  Ugh, not even.  He can go have a seat next to Nora.  As I saw it, they could have each other, just as long as they didn't drag everyone else down with them while they were at it.  Vee was such a darling for a while in the beginning of the series, but her attitude just got on my nerves in this one.  As for the introduction of new characters (and insufferable, constant presence of old ones), I wasn't impressed.  I couldn't get into any of the characters.

Usually, if the characters won't work for me, the plot doesn't stand a chance.  In this case, even if the characters had worked, the plot would've had me going "WTF?"  Mostly, it was "wow, I didn't see that coming at all" with a heavy dose of sarcasm.  The stakes were seriously shadowy and undefined, so the plot seemed strung together like one drama-fest after another.  I had little to zero interest in what was going on, let alone how it affected the characters.

The writing started catching on my nerves with the third book, Silence, but this time?  Wasn't edgy, wasn't elegant, just wasn't working for me at all.

Nothing about Finale worked for me.  I just couldn't convince myself to continue after two hundred pages of irritation.  I'm sorry that it didn't, because I have fond memories of Hush, Hush.  It's just that the magic didn't carry from that book forward.

Quotes
As in, I wouldn't know normal if it marched up and poked me in the eye.
"All I can think about is bed."
"We're sharing the same thought."
"You're thinking about bed too?" But Patch had told me that he rarely slept.
"I'm thinking about you in my bed."
 Book Info

  • pages - hardcover, 454
  • published - October 2012
  • publisher - Simon & Schuster
  • genre - urban fantasy
  • received via - library
  • rating - 2/5
  • series - Hush, Hush
    • Hush, Hush
    • Crescendo
    • Silence
    • Finale