15 December 2012

Saturday Spotlight: Stories and Sweeties


What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.

Becky @ Stories & Sweeties

ABOUT THE BLOG

When did your blog come into existence?
I started Stories & Sweeties in January 2010.  Wow, hard to believe I’ve been at this for almost 3 years!
Your blog in three words:
Goodies, opinions, & cover-lust
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
Well, I’m certainly not the only one who mixes books and sweets, so I guess what makes my blog unique is just me! :D  I like to keep it light and fun for my readers AND for me---I take it seriously, but not so seriously that I find myself under pressure to blog when I don’t feel like it, because then I think it just comes off as forced. Another thing that makes it unique and very “me” is the whole design---I used to design digital scrapbook stuff, so almost everything you see on the blog is designed or hand-drawn by me.
If you ever had to retitle your blog, would you? And what would the new title be?
Nah…I’m a bit attached to my blog name, and it pretty perfectly sums up what I do.

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)?
I started blogging, to be completely honest, because I have a terrible memory. LOL  I mean, yeah, I’ve always loved books, always loved to recommend the ones I love and share my thoughts on them, but one of the main reasons I thought to start blogging them was to have my own personal journal of what I’ve read and what I thought about each book.  And with a bad memory comes the fact that I am much better at sitting down and writing out my thoughts than I am at talking about them---in a conversation, I can always remember that I loved a book, but not always the reason why! So the art of blogging works perfectly for me.
Do you have a review that you’re particularly proud of?
Hm..hard question.  I think maybe On the Fringe by Courtney King Walker---I loved this book, and when I wrote the review I think it just kind of gushed out of me in a way that completely conveyed why I loved it so much.
Is there a blog that inspired you/still inspires you?
Ahhh, so hard to pinpoint just one.  I know it’s a total cop out, but I don’t think I could pick just one or two---there are so many awesome blogs out there!
What excites you most about being a book review blogger?
Finding and falling in love with books I wouldn’t normally have even read if it hadn’t shown up on my doorstep unexpectedly or been recommended by another blogger in our wonderful blogging community.  That is the best.  Case in point: Sweet Evil. I got an unsolicited copy and wasn’t all the excited about it, hated the cheesy cover, just thought it was yet another angel vs. demon book, but the fabulous Mindy at Magical Urban Fantasy Reads said “YOU MUST READ IT” and I did. And I loooooved it. J
Five books everyone should read:
Just Five? Hehe..
  1. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas: it’s a lot to take on, but it’s a fantastic read.
  2. Every Day by David Levithan: I just read this one recently, the first Levithan book I’ve read and it is so beautifully done. Ooh, all the feelings.
  3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott:  Ok, so, not sure everyone has to read it, but it’s a favorite of mine. Teddy…*sigh*.
  4. Cinder by Marissa Meyer: My favorite of this year.  It’s steampunk and fairy tale and fantasy and sci-fi all mixed up in a perfect package of awesome.
  5. The Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins: just because they are so damn fun!
If a new blogger came up to you for advice, what would you tell them?
Blog for you.  Blog because it’s something you love to do, and if you stop loving it, then stop.  It shouldn’t feel like work or pressure, not something you are killing yourself doing to post every single day, or keep up with someone else, or get as many books as you can hoard, or post something because someone else thinks you should. Blog because it makes you happy.  BLOG FOR YOU.

ABOUT THE GAL

What got you into reading?
My mom. ♥ She read to me a lot when I was little and took me to the library often, so it stuck. 
Do your friends and family know about your blog?
My family does, and a few friends.  My best friend, Amy, is actually a guest reviewer!
What are three things people may not know about you?
  1. I’m incredibly shy and I often worry that sometimes it comes off as being stuck up. I swear I’m not! :D  So if we ever happen to cross paths, come say hi!
  2. I’m a cancer Warrior. Yes, warrior…meaning it came, it saw, and I kicked it’s ass. Still kicking it, actually---I have a chronic form of leukemia, so I have a few more years of treatment before I’m fully in the clear, but I’m out to win this!
  3. I love cupcakes. Oh, wait.  Everyone knows that. I hate walnuts.  Sorry, LOL, can’t think of a good third thing. Oh wait…I’ve been married almost 20 years.  Lots of people are often shocked at that, I guess I don’t look my age. And that’s a good thing!
If you had a superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it?
Time Travel, definitely.   My other love, aside from books—vintage fashion.  So I’d visit all the different eras collecting clothes and shoes and hats and handbags.  Except the seventies…tragic fashion era.  Ugh.