03 November 2012

Saturday Spotlight: The Hopeful Heroine


What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.


Cait @ The Hopeful Heroine

ABOUT THE BLOG

When did your blog come into existence?
My blog is actually pretty new… I officially started it this past August (2012)
Your blog in three words:
Conversational. Goofy. Hopeful.
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
Captain Nosy. I don’t know of many bloggers who have a book-sniffing greyhound for a sidekick. I also like to read and review books off the beaten path. Sure I love a lot of the “it” authors and best-sellers books, but if someone is dedicated enough to write a whole book and they want me to read it, I’m all in. And I throw in some terrible, artistic talent-lacking doodles.
If you ever had to retitle your blog, would you? And what would the new title be?
Maybe?  It took me forever to come up with this one, so I'd probably just go with my tagline as the new title, "Believing in the Power of Story."

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)? 
 I’ve actually been a blogging nerd for years just trying to find the right passion to write about. My first blog back in college was much more creative and inner thought based, then I transitioned into blogging about running and fitness. But, I’m the type of person who changes her hobbies every six months because I just need something new. So, I had been toying around with the idea of book blogging for a couple of months because I was reading a lot of book blogs, and books have actually been the one constant in my life. Then I took an adolescent lit class this summer with a professor who writes reviews for academic journals, and when I talked to her about how to break into the market of book reviewing, she suggested the blogging platform to build up my writing.
Do you have a review that you’re particularly proud of?
 Hmmm…. Not yet. I’m still working on trying to figure out my review style.
Is there a blog that inspired you/still inspires you?
Yes! These are the blogs that really helped me decide to create my own: The Perpetual Page Turner, Anna Reads, and The Authoress (bet you didn’t see that coming!) I just found that these three ladies were so very original in their posts, and I love how their personalities shine through in their writing.
What excites you most about being a book review blogger?
Honestly, connecting with publishers. To me, they always seemed like some big scary person…but I think they’re just book lovers too. Plus, my favorite-favorite thing is the opportunity to read books before they are published! I’ve only done a couple of those so far, but I feel like I’m part of a secret society and I love it!
Five books everyone should read:
  1.  Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (Mind = Blown!) 
  2. The Giver by Lois Lowry (Hello! The first dystopian novel.) 
  3. The Lion, The Witch, & the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (You’ll always be looking for the magical wardrobe.) 
  4. A Time of Angels by Karen Hess (Bring the tissues.) 
  5. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak (Because sometimes, you just need a wild rumpus.)
If a new blogger came up to you for advice, what would you tell them?
Be you. Don’t be the blogs you read. Sure, it’s great to join memes and connect with bloggers… but don’t feel like you have to do EVERYTHING that every single blog you read does. You don’t have to do a million giveaways or blog tours to build readers. Just be you and they will come visit your writing. Be patient. It’s not about numbers anyway. You’ll connect with readers who like your style. Also… give credit where credit is due especially with pictures, quotes, and inspiration for posts. And ps…don’t ignore your readers. That’s how NOT to make new friends!

ABOUT THE GAL

What got you into reading?
My mother. She is a huge reader herself, and she shared that with me when I was a kid. She used to read me stories and hand me book all of the time. I remember bedtime stories like they were yesterday—Goodnight Moon, Winken, Blinken, and Nod, Where the Wild Things Are, Runaway Bunny, and Narnia.
Do your friends and family know about your blog?
Yes. My husband is actually the original doodle maker on the blog, my mom was my first follower, and I shamelessly promote my posts on Facebook. Though, I’m the nerdy one obsessed with children’s literature, and most of my friends aren’t so I can’t say that they actually read my blog.
What are three things people may not know about you?
One - In another life I would own my own bakery. Two - I’m a hardcore runner/triathlete with the goal of finishing a full Ironman someday. Three - I want to travel the world (or just Europe) for a year (or more) and write about it—I’d love to write a memoir.
If you had a superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it?
Definitely osmosis. Then I would be like Captain Nosy and I could read every single book I ever came across super fast and remember the details! Plus with osmosis I could absorb other people’s super powers so I would be covered in every situation.