17 November 2012

Saturday Spotlight: The Book Bender

What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.

Amanda @ On a Book Bender

ABOUT THE BLOG

When did your blog come into existence?
On a Book Bender was born at the end of March 2011, but I didn’t officially launch it until May 2011. I ended up deciding to wait until I was finished with grad school before committing myself to blogging.
Your blog in three words:
Green, eclectic, giraffe-shifters (I hyphenated that last one so it would count as one word. I’m such a rule breaker.)
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
I think my blog is a pretty accurate reflection of ME, which is not something others can really replicate. Everything on my blog (my reviews, discussion posts, memes) is about what I’m thinking or what I’m feeling or what I find humorous.
If you ever had to retitle your blog, would you? And what would the new title be?
No! I love the title of my blog. I tend to binge on books, and “on a book bender” is a good description of my reading habits. Plus, coming up with names is hard.

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)?
I was originally blogging about completing 101 goals in 1,001 days when one of my friends (who was also doing 101 in 1,001) decided to start a book blog to keep track of the books she was reading. Once she started, I wanted my own, too! I know a good idea when I see one.
Do you have a review that you’re particularly proud of?
Do you ever have times where your review writing is just on? That’s how I feel about my review of Cinder by Marrisa Meyer. And shhh! The review doesn’t go live on my blog until the end of November, so you all are getting a sneak peek. (You are THAT SPECIAL.)
Is there a blog that inspired you/still inspires you?
I am totally inspired by Jenny of Supernatural Snark. Her reviews are beautifully written and she’s one of the nicest bloggers EVER. And her cover critiques are to die for. (No, really, they make you laugh so hard you can’t breathe. Good stuff.)
What excites you most about being a book review blogger?
Connecting with people who love books as much as I do! When I was growing up, no one else I knew was a reader, so I felt like an oddball. Being able to find people who love books as much as I do makes me feel less alone. (I still feel like an oddball, but for different reasons, and I’m okay with that.)
Five books everyone should read:
Hmm. I think that everyone’s reading preferences are so diverse that it’s impossible to say everyone should read a specific book. I do, however, think people should give a book a chance before they knock it. If you read it and hate it, more power to you. Knock away (within reason, of course).
If a new blogger came up to you for advice, what would you tell them?
I would say: know why you’re blogging, know your limitations, and be yourself. There really isn’t a “right” or a “wrong” way to blog, and it’s important to discover what works for you.

ABOUT THE GAL

What got you into reading?
*blinks* I honestly have no idea. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been reading. My mom tells me she had to force me to read when I was a kid, but… no. It’s just inconceivable.
Do your friends and family know about your blog?
Yes, they do. But they’re not active readers of my blog. Most of them don’t really get my obsession with books (or blogging) so I’m okay with their lack of readership.
What are three things people may not know about you?
  1. I have an addiction to true crime shows and frequently have them on for background noise when I read, no matter what I read. (Except erotica. Because erotica and crime really don’t mix.)
  2. I drive a manual transmission car, and I’m completely convinced it’s the only way to truly drive a car.
  3. I plan to have dogs the way many people plan to have children. (I want all the dogs. They are full of love and the best friends EVER. Also, I need a good running partner.)
If you had a superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it?
Is it lame if I say that I want my superpower to be the ability to read ALL THE BOOKS? I’d be a super fast reader, I’d never get tired of reading, I’d be able to read in the dark (just in case—you never know where you might need to read), and I’d be able to read while doing ANYTHING. I’d like that superpower. It would be awesome and I could finally, you know, read ALL THE BOOKS!

*leaves Amelia a chocolate chip cookie for having me on her blog today*