24 November 2012

Saturday Spotlight: The Authoress


What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.

yup, this is MY eye
Amelia @ The Authoress

Couldn't get anyone for this week -- I kinda grew lax during the holiday week. :/  So I'm interviewing myself!

ABOUT THE BLOG

When did your blog come into existence?
It was created in January 2010, but I didn't hit my stride until that summer.  School puts a real dampener on maintaining a blogging habit, so as soon as summer was out, I got into my blogging for real.
Your blog in three words:
Honest.  Eclectic.  Evolving.
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
I pride myself on my blog designs, but beyond that, I think my review style is relatively unique.  I like to get to the point (and keep the gushing to a minimum because gushing = spoiler city!) and I put the main ideas in bold so people can skim if they want.  Also, I never post spoilers in my reviews.
If you ever had to retitle your blog, would you? And what would the new title be?
I've thought about it, but I like the authority behind the term "authoress."  :3


ABOUT THE BLOGGER

How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)?
I don't really remember.  I assume I found a book blog, started following a few, and then figured, "This is perfect!"  No one else in my family reads for fun, so it was pretty dissatisfying to go and rant to them about a book. 
Do you have a review that you’re particularly proud of?
I'd have to say my review of Seraphina by Rachel Hartman.
Is there a blog that inspired you/still inspires you?
Every blog I visit inspires me in some way.  When I first started out, though, I emailed around to several different bloggers with a bunch of questions and two of those ladies who replied to my emails still inspire me today: Ash @ Smash Attack Reads and Linna @ 21 Pages.
What excites you most about being a book review blogger?
Blogging has introduced a whole new world of books to me.  I had always been a "reader" growing up but only when I started blogging did I find out what being a reader truly was.  And I found a lot of my currently favorite books by being immersed in the blogosphere.
Five books everyone should read:
  1. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
  2. Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
  3. Any Sarah Dessen novel
  4. The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
  5. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
If a new blogger came up to you for advice, what would you tell them?
Dude, be yourself.  Explore the blogosphere.  Be inspired.  If you want something, work for it.  If you're confused, ask questions.  State your opinion and mean it.  Don't half-ass anything.


ABOUT THE GAL

What got you into reading?
My mom reading me Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling when I was five-years-old and doing voices for the characters.
Do your friends and family know about your blog?
My family knows.  Some of my friends are aware I have a blog, but I'm very careful to keep my personal and blogging life separate.  
What are three things people may not know about you?
  1. Amelia Robinson is not my real name. I always loved the name "Amelia" and I got "Robinson" from the movie Meet the Robinsons. My real name (I think) is old fashioned and my first and middle name rhymes with an expression of frustration. I've been told, however, that it sounds much like an author name. (Though for security purposes, I'll most likely published under Amelia Robinson.)
  2. I have two older brothers with autism.
  3. I can memorize movies like nobody's business and I have a great love and talent for accents.
If you had a superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it?
I've always been drawn to the idea of telepathy, but I don't think it's a power I would like to have in reality.  There are so many powers to choose from, and all of them have their benefits.  It's so hard to choose!  I think it would be cool to have some kind of elemental power -- air, fire, water, or earth.  Or to tell the future.