09 November 2012

Follow Friday (35)

Q: Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings or pulled-to-publish fanfic?
A:  I consider there to be two different questions in this week's topic.  Of course books are similar to each other, especially within the same genres.  It's hard to make something absolutely and completely original.  I do understand the point of the question, though.  Does it bother me when a book comes off as a run-of-the-mill, cookie cutter story?  Yes.  I like retellings, but so far I've only enjoyed the ones told by Jackson Pearce.  I would not want to see a fan fiction published as a real book.  I like to keep fan fiction stories available online where anyone can read them.  Those, to me, are rip offs.  The characters and world were crafted by someone else.  Originality, or lack thereof, can be glossed over in my eyes, but only if the author has passion to make up for it.  Passion meaning the author shows me why I should care about this story.  It's the passion that makes the difference for me.