02 November 2012

Follow Friday (34)

Q:  What is a deal breaker for you in a book?  For example, do you abhor love triangles? Or can’t deal with bad editing?
A:  Unfortunately, a lot of things tend to be a deal breaker for me and I think it's because you never like a book for just one reason, so why would you dislike a book for one, too?  I do greatly dislike love triangles, mostly because I've never seen one tastefully done.  (Wait, I take that back.  Patricia Briggs did an excellent love triangle in her Mercy Thompson series.)  Poor writing is a huge turn-off.  So are crappy main characters, stalker-y love interests, and cookie cutter plots.  Ultimately, though, I think the biggest, singular deal breaker for me is lack of passion.  If I don't sense an author's passion behind their words, in their story, I just won't bother.  Because if I think the author doesn't care, why should I?