07 November 2012

Dear NaNoWriMo: Be Afraid

My Dearest NaNoWriMo,

We've been going steady for a week now, and I just wanted to let you know that to me, you are transparent.  I see the things signs.  I know you're up to something.  You're thinking that my continual adherence to meeting, and then surpassing, your target daily word count is somehow a phase; it's just something I'll burn through.  Even the brightest flame burns itself out eventually, yes?

No.  "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle," said St. Francis of Assisi.  (This is a rather awkward and ironic occurrence, that I would use something said by St. Francis of Assisi in this context, but I will leave you to ponder why this is ironic.  Just know it has to do with the novel I'm currently dominating.)

I don't think this is a phase.  Every day, for seven days, without fail, I have stuck to my routine.  In the morning, I eat breakfast at my desk while I take care of blog things (write reviews, reply to comments, check emails, reply to emails, etc.), then I read a bit, break for lunch and then after lunch, I spend however long it takes me to get to add two thousand words to my story.  I'm not just rounding 1,667 up to 2,000.  I write two thousand a day.  So right about now, I'm about a day's worth ahead of your projected progress.

I'll wait while you gather yourself from the bomb of awesomeness I just dropped on you.

If I were you, NaNo, I'd take a long, hard look at yourself.  You may think you can fool me into thinking I'm gonna burn out, but you've got something coming for you.  In fact, you've got 50,000 somethings coming for you.  By this time next week, I will be standing on the bones of thousands of words that made it out of my head and onto the screen.  Yes, they may suck.  But, like Kevin Wilson said in his pep talk: I may be the worst writer in the world, but at least I'll have the evidence to prove it.

NaNo, be afraid.  Be very, very afraid.

Sincerely and determinedly,

Your Biggest Fan

For the uninformed, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. The goal is to get to 50,000 words in thirty consecutive days -- the "thirty consecutive days" being the month of November. For more info (and to join in the fun!) check out the NaNoWriMo site. You can add me as a friend here.