28 November 2012

A Million Suns by Beth Revis

Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos.

It’s been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. Everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceship Godspeed.

But there may be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to act on his vision—no more Phydus, no more lies.

But when Elder learns shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a mystery that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier. Their success—or failure—will determine the fate of the 2,298 passengers aboard Godspeed. But with each step, the journey becomes more perilous, the ship more chaotic, and the love between them more impossible to fight.

When I think about Beth Revis and her work, the first thing that pops to mind is action.  Her stories are always so fresh in my mind because of how action-packed her plots are.  I was blown away in Across the Universe and A Million Suns left me breathless -- breathless from the action, breathless from the writing, breathless in anticipation for what will happen next.  Beth Revis has created a niche for herself in the crammed world of YA literature with a stunning second installment, full of heart-pumping action, nail-biting suspense and fantastic writing.

While I was reading this book, I tried to explain to my dad what it was about.  (It's hard to do when you're two books in and you're talking to a non-reader.)  What I found myself continuing saying was, "It kinda freaks me out."  Even now, I can't put my finger on just what "freaks me out" about this world, but something does.  And yet... I still greatly enjoy it!  To explain to my dad, I said, "It's like...every page, there's action.  Something is always happening."

And something always is happening in a Beth Revis book.  Debut authors (and even seasoned authors!) should take a lesson from her.  My love for her series boils down to this: every action spurs a reaction.  Both events are so clearly linked that you cannot remove one without rendering the other one null and void.  That kind of tight plot, paired with the action, drives me to readreadread until I've finished.  (Though generally, I hate finishing because then I'm on a cliffhanger.  With Beth Revis, it's always on a cliffhanger.)

I also love how real her characters are.  Elder and Amy, and even peripheral characters like Doc and Bartie, have their own dynamic and a 3D world view.  This complexity makes the romance real, too.  Beth Revis throws in real problems into Elder and Amy's relationship.  She doesn't just let them coast by.  They have just as many problems with each other as they do with everyone else, because Beth Revis crafted them like real people.

A Million Suns was incredible.  As soon as I started, I had to stay and find out what happened next.  I love how Beth Revis has the ability to keep me glued to the page, even into the wee hours of the morning.  I loved the thrilling world, the face paced and exciting plot, and the lovable characters.  I'm shivering from suspense for Shades of Earth.  With Beth Revis's imagination and penchant for creating widespread terror, I'm shaking in my boots for what she'll deliver in the final Across the Universe installment.

Quotes
And here we are, in the middle, surrounded by a sea of stars.
A million suns.
Any of them could hold a planet. Any of them could hold a home.
But all of them are out of reach.
You could drop me anywhere in the universe, blindfolded, and I'd know this was his room just from the smell.
People are, at their heart, constantly moving toward a state of entropy. We're all spiraling out of control.
Book Info

  • pages - hardcover, 386
  • published - January 2012
  • publisher - Razorbill
  • genre - science fiction
  • received via - YALLFest
  • rating - 5/5
  • series - Across the Universe
    • Across the Universe
    • A Million Suns
    • Shades of Earth