27 October 2012

Saturday Spotlight: Once Upon a Prologue


What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.


ABOUT THE BLOG


When did your blog come into existence?
March of 2011!
Your blog in three words:
Interactive.  Enthusiastic.  Passionate. 
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
I put a lot of myself into my reviews!  I try to put personal stories in from time to time, and include anecdotes (i.e. if it’s a time travel book you can bet I’m going to go on and on about my love for Doctor Who!)  Also, I’ve made my own book haul meme called “Once Upon A Book Haul,” and I’m hoping to soon start a new feature where I spotlight books that really meant a great deal to me.  I don’t do as many memes as some other blogs, and I try to focus on reviews and discussion posts, to engage my readers. 
If you ever had to retitle your blog, would you? And what would the new title be?
Great question!  I agonized over a title, and nothing sounded right.  When I finally stumbled upon “Once Upon a Prologue,” it just felt RIGHT – combining both my love of books, and my whimsical nature.  I’ve seen some amazing blog titles out there, and sometimes I wish I’d come up with them!  But then I remember that I’m happy with my title.  J

ABOUT THE BLOGGER


How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)?
I’ve always been a reader, but I wasn’t challenging myself anymore, and I’d become interested in YA and a few other genres again.  I was on Goodreads, but I wanted somewhere that was my own to review and explore my thoughts on books.  Suz at A Soul Unsung had just started her book blog, and I thought it was a fun idea.  I never expected to meet so many amazing bloggers!
Do you have a review that you’re particularly proud of?            
I’m pretty proud of all of mine!  I try to put my enthusiasm for the book into each review I write.  (However if you want to stalk my blog, just click the “molli reviews…” tag and you’ll find some gems!)
Is there a blog that inspired you/still inspires you?
Oh wow, so many!  Jess at Gone With the Words was probably one of the first bloggers I really admired, as was Rachel at ParaJunkee’s View.  I visit Suz at A Soul Unsung quite often, and I always love seeing what Giselle at Xpresso Reads is up to! 
What excites you most about being a book review blogger?
The opportunity to connect with fellow readers and bloggers, and share book news, reviews, etc.  I love going to a fellow blogger’s blog and seeing that they’ve loved a book I loved. 
Five books everyone should read:
  1. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
  2. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
  3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  4. Tempest by Julie Cross
  5. The Name ofthe Wind by Patrick Rothfuss  
Each one of them wrung a lot of emotions out of me, and they’re all books I intend to re-read many times! 
If a new blogger came up to you for advice, what would you tell them?
Be yourself!  Even if that means letting your inner geek show.  Blog like no one’s watching, like you’re doing it for yourself – and your passions will show YOU and bring readers with them!

ABOUT THE GAL


What got you into reading?
My mom read to me when I was little, and I was the first person in my kindergarten class to read.  I even brought a Minnie Mouse book to school and read it to the class.  I just barely remember that.  From then on…I was hooked!  I had a close friend who was a reader, so we explored new genres and authors together. 
Do your friends and family know about your blog?           
My family does – they don’t really get it, but they indulge me.  My close friends know, and they’re used to me squee’ing when I receive a book, or gain a reader.  My  best friends think it’s the coolest thing ever!
What are three things people may not know about you?
  1. I was born three months premature and only weighed 1lb and 12 ounces.  I spent the first three months of my life in the hospital to gain enough weight to get to come home.
  2. I’ve never been outside the USA.  *sigh*
  3. Someday, I want to live in either England or Ireland. 
If you had a superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it?
Mine would probably be time travel.  Is that a superpower?  It is now.  I’d want it just to go back and spend more time with relatives and friends who aren’t around anymore.  Most people would say something cool like flying, but I’m a bigger geek than that.