20 October 2012

Saturday Spotlight: Artsy Musings of a Bibliophile

What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.

artsy musings of a bibliophile
Sana @ Artsy Musings of a Bibliophile



ABOUT THE BLOG

When did your blog come into existence?
I’d been contemplating making a blog ever since I joined Goodreads in July 2011. I finally took the plunge on Blogger, after trying it out on tumblr for a few weeks, in November 2011.
Your blog in three words:
Bookish. Red. Wordy.
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
I wanted to go on a different route so I decided that my blog will be my creation alone and if I ever wanted to get a customized look, I’ll learn to do it myself. Also, I want my reviews to focus on the elements in the book rather than giving away the storyline.
If you ever had to retitle your blog, would you? And what would the new title be?
If I had to re-title my blog, I’d go for a shorter title. I like the sound of unread reads or maybe, well-booked.

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)?
I’ve always lacked in the friends-who-read department in the real world and I wanted to the experience the joy of discussing books, buddy reads and what not. So when I discovered the book blogosphere, I was awed at its vastness and how it all fit together from reviews to Twitter chats to memes and giveaways. Today I’ve many friends-who-read friends and I love them.
Do you have a review that you’re particularly proud of?
Yes. It’s the review of Take Me There by Carolee Dean. That book made me go through every possible emotion in the world and more. I wanted its review to speak for itself and I spent hours writing it and making it perfect. Sigh.
Is there a blog that inspired you/still inspires you?
I have a blogger-recently-turned-author friend who blogs over at Stories of my Life. Her name’s Ron and I always love reading her reviews and I think that is how reviews should be, not too open about the storyline but focusing more on the characters and the elements in the book.
What excites you most about being a book review blogger?
I love anything that has to do with books and I get to read more ever since I started blogging. I get to read reviews of books I wouldn’t normally read and get convinced why I should read such books. Most importantly, I get to squeal about books and no one even stares because we all get each other *wink wink.*
Five books everyone should read:
Ah, tough question but I think I’ve managed to be fair. These are in a random order and I’ve assumed that Harry Potter is a must-read series for everyone on this planet so I’m skipping them. I know that these titles are pretty random but then I like to read whatever interests me enough.
  1. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  2. If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern
  3. Rage of Angels by Sidney Sheldon
  4. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
  5. Take Me There by Carolee Dean
If a new blogger came up to you for advice, what would you tell them?
I’d tell them that blogging is a hard job and it requires patience and work to get out there and be known. I’m still in the process. Also, it’s never a good idea to get into blogging because of all the perks it offers. You just have to let your passion for reading come out to the surface on your blog and you’re all set.

ABOUT THE GAL

What got you into reading?
My school library. Nobody in my class really paid attention to the books in the library but I was fascinated by them. That’s where I discovered Enid Blyton and the exciting endless world of imagination built on a set of letters put together in earnest and I never want it to end.
Do your friends and family know about your blog?
Yes, they do. My family was never big on the idea of seeing me as a reader but it’s what I love and I think they’re warming up to the idea after I set up a book blog. They got the idea that it’s not going anywhere.

My friends, on the other hand, are glad for me and are always gushing about the ever-increasing number of books I get to read now. Well, not always but usually.
What are three things people may not know about you?
First, I dream about getting my hair dyed purple, go goth with black everything and listen to rock music. Definitely a version of myself I’d love to meet.

Second, I’d love to set up a small tea-coffee-slash-book-shop somewhere in a small street in Paris someday.

Third, I recently set up a private, for-my-eyes-only blog where I write whatever is going through on my mind, mostly focusing on my feelings in the hopes on untangling them.
If you had a superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it?
I’d love to have a superpower to read in the darkness. I love to read late in the night with a cup of tea by my side. If I could manage to read in the dark, I’d be the happiest person on earth with no one there to interrupt me from reading except the morning sun.