23 October 2012

Perception by Lee Strauss


Seventeen year old Zoe Vanderveen is a GAP—a genetically altered person. She lives in the security of a walled city on prime water-front property along-side other equally beautiful people with extended life spans.

Her brother Liam is missing.

Noah Brody is a natural who lives on the outside. He leads protests against the GAPs and detests the widening chasm they’ve created between those who have and those who don’t. He doesn’t like girls like Zoe and he has good reason not to like her specifically.

Zoe’s carefree life takes a traumatic turn. She’s in trouble and it turns out that Noah, the last guy on earth she should trust, is the only one who can help her.

PERCEPTION is a (SF/mystery/romance) Young Adult novel that takes place in the not-too-distant future in a world changed by climate extremes, natural disasters and impending wars, and where scientific breakthroughs cause class divisions—both financially and philosophically. It explores the clash between faith and science and how differences can separate us as enemies or ally us together. And in some cases, even in the midst of betrayal and personal crisis, there’s room to fall in love.

This is the first book in a planned three book series.

Perception presented an interesting concept: GAPs (genetically altered person) who live on expanded life spans and reside in glorious cities that give no reason to venture into the "outside."  Technology is all there is -- ComRings replace cell phones and circular clocks are a thing of the past.  I loved the world and the idea that this is what we could become, and I enjoyed the thought put into how technology has created a mass rift between social classes.  However, I didn't enjoy much else.

The writing was extremely unpolished.  It allowed for little depth, making the characters superficial and the plot haphazard.  It was all telling and no showing, and while there were little gems hidden, they weren't nearly enough to sustain my interest alone.

At first, I thought that my dislike for the main character, Zoe, was based on the fault of the writing.  As I read, however, I started to frown at her actions: her inconsistencies and selfish, conceited thoughts.  I feel that, had there been more depth, I could've understood why she did what she did, but there was no thought process behind her actions.  Zoe was incredibly underdeveloped.  She reacted to things in a predictable (if dramatic) way, and was constantly fluttering between beliefs.  I couldn't get her at all.

While I liked the world, I couldn't fathom the plot.  Something was wrong, I understood that, but I didn't really care.  Her brother was missing, but that didn't explain all the things Zoe did to try and understand why he was gone.  It got boring.  There seemed to be a whole lot of nothing going on.

Ultimately, the story wasn't for me.  While I liked the idea and the world, I couldn't get past Zoe's antics or get into the plot.

Book Info

  • pages - Kindle edition, 234
  • published - September 2012
  • publisher - ESB Publishing
  • genre - sci-fi
  • received via - author
  • rating - 2/5
  • series - Perception
    • Perception