28 October 2012

In My Mailbox (93)


Did I have a fantastic week in books?  Have you ever heard of the understatement of the century?  I went to TWO signings -- met Veronica Rossi, Talia Vance, Donna Cooner and Christopher Paolini.  I got an advanced reader's copy placed in my hands by the author herself.  I got my copy of Eragon signed by the author -- only had to stand in line for forty-five minutes.  I also got some amazing books from the library.  Yes.  I had a great week.

Library
Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr
My only experience with Melissa Marr's work was Wicked Lovely, which I wasn't entirely impressed with.  However, I know that, given enough time, an author's skills will mature.  The synopsis for this one really intrigued me, so I was happy to get it in at the library. :)

Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson
First thing I said to my dad when I got this was that it's one of those stories that can very, very easily be ruined by a crappy romance.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one, but I'm excited.  I love the idea of the mythology in this one.

Amazon
Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Caster Chronicles #4
Oh my god.  The third book, Beautiful Chaos, left me gasping in my seat.  I'm almost afraid to start this book, not only because it's the conclusion -- but because it's the CONCLUSION.  I would just cry myself to sleep every night, but I comfort myself with the knowledge that there's a movie.  Yes.  I'll just think about the movies.

Barnes & Noble
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi  SIGNED
Under the Never Sky #1
FINALLY have my own copy.  And it came in the mail the day I was to go to an author panel where Veronica Rossi would be in attendance.  So it's signed!  Veronica Rossi was amazing.  I absolutely loved this book so meeting her and seeing her talk about it was so cool on so many levels.

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Grisha #1
There!  Finally got it.  Happy?  Hahaha.  I read the sample of this on my Kindle and knew -- just knew -- that I would love it.  So I went ahead and took a chance by buying it.  I'm so excited to start it.  I've seen so much praise surrounding it.  Please, please, please, book gods, do not let this be a letdown.

Author Panel
Silver by Talia Vance  SIGNED
Bandia #1
I had never heard of Talia Vance before seeing her (and subsequently meeting her) at the author panel on Thursday.  But when she read an excerpt from her book -- wow.  I mean, I wasn't planning on buying a copy but after that... Totally had to get my own copy.  It's supposed to have a totally kickass heroine and Celtic mythology!!  Done deal.  :)

Skinny by Donna Cooner  SIGNED
Same thing as Talia Vance's book.  As soon as Donna Cooner started talking about her book, I knew I needed my own copy.  My dad and I were talking about it afterwards and we both had the same impression: we were both impressed with how it wasn't just about weight.  "Skinny" is the voice in the main character's head that tells her "what everyone else thinks".  It's the name given to the doubt and the fear.  It can have any name, not just "Skinny."  My dad and I really liked that kind of idea.

Really Cool Swag  SIGNED
At first I was thinking that Donna Cooner didn't have any swag for her book, but if she did, and I missed grabbing some, I will be so pissed at myself.  However, I did get some signed swag from Talia Vance (for her book Silver and yet-to-be-released novel Spies and Prejudice) as well as some awesome tattoos and bookmarks from Veronica Rossi.  If you win something from me, look out for some of this swag. :)

From the Coolest Author Ever
ARC Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi  SIGNED
I was not expecting this when I convinced my dad to drive me into downtown for this author panel.  But Veronica Rossi recognized me from my blog picture -- recognized me.  That's like being told "Hey, you look familiar" by Emma Watson.  (And of course I acted like an idiot in front of her.  In my defense, though, I was completely taken off guard.  I was busy picking up my unshakable confidence off the floor.)  I don't think I have to convey the awesomeness of the moment.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini  SIGNED
Inheritance #1
Driving the two and a half hours to Raleigh (and then back to Charlotte) and being at a crammed Barnes and Noble was fun.  But I was a little disappointed with how little face time everyone got with Christopher Paolini.  I realize he's this ridiculously popular author, but apparently the event organizers were joking when they said it would be a "talk" included with the signing.  (The "talk" part of the event was Christopher Paolini standing up on a table to be seen and thanking everyone for coming and that this was his last tour ever for this series.  Literally, he was talking for thirty seconds.  I kid you not.  I counted.)  I had more fun standing in line talking to the people around me than I did actually standing in front of Christopher Paolini getting my book signed.  :/  BUT.  I really liked his leather jacket.  :3

what did you get in your mailbox?