14 October 2012

In My Mailbox (92)

Blogging has brought a surprising realization to me.  Sort of like a spiritual awakening... but not.  Examining how blogs become popular and why, it makes me think about the appeal of certain people over others, as well as a certain kind of creativity over other forms.  Philosophical thinking was not something I attributed to blogging when I first started.  Now it's opening all kinds of mental doors.

(Kind of) A Funny Story:  A week before this previous Friday, I threw up my hands in frustration and said, "I'm just going to bust down and order The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan already!"  The expected process occurred: I went to BN.com (since I'm a member I get free 1-3 day shipping and a discounted price) and bought a copy.  Then... a horrible thought came to me.  The process had seemed incredibly familiar in a very bad way.  I checked my order history and found my recent order for The Mark of Athena... only it was made a week previously.  So here I was staring at two orders of The Mark of Athena.  Furious cancellations ensue and thankfully, I do not end up getting two copies of the third Heroes of Olympus book by Rick Riordan.

Barnes & Noble
The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
Heroes of Olympus #3
This is my tenth experience with a Rick Riordan book.  I read the entire Percy Jackson series, the first two Kane Chronicles as well as the previous Heroes of Olympus novels.  This time, however, I was struck by how fun it would be -- and must be -- to write for children.  Here I'd read all these middle grade novels and just now thought about how much fun it would be to write my own middle grade book.  Curious.  I received this on Thursday and I'm nearly finished with it.  (It's a whopper, too.)  Rick Riordan and Eoin Colfer are those authors that I will always be reading, even when I'm sixty with two dozen grandchildren.

what did you get in your mailbox?

Keep in mind that it's Teen Read Week!  Visit my TRW hop to enter giveaways to promote the love of reading!