31 October 2012

Dear NaNoWriMo: My Old Friend

My dearest NaNoWriMo,

Tomorrow marks our third year together.  Another year of stressing out, caffeine highs, pacing and far too many peanut butter M&Ms.

This will not be a third failed year.  For the past two years, I have tried to win you and I have failed to win you.  Even though I got more than a little close last year when I had over 20,000 words tucked under my belt.  Sweet success was inches from my fingertips, yet not enough.

I'm here to tell you... this year won't be a repeat of last year.  I won't get just "a little close."  I'm going to invade your comfort zone, your personal space.  I will be so far over my goal, I will be famed in song and story.  I am going to dominate this year.  You chuckle, but I'm not laughing.

I've got a plan.  I've got a story I've been stalking for over a year now.  And yeah, I'm bringing it all to the table.  I've got my notes.  I've got my reference books.  I've even got my cat, and if you're gonna be scared of something, be scared of her.  She may look like a sweet little lamb, but how do you reckon she got those black spots on her otherwise pristine white fur?

Armed with those weapons, I will dive into November strong and steady.  November will be my month.  Two thousand words will be pounded out each day.  That way, if I need a day off, I can afford to take a breather.  But I'll save kicking my boots up until the day when I cross the finish line.

I'm bringing my game face, NaNo.  You bringing yours?

Most sincerely and determinedly,

Your Biggest Fan


For the uninformed, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month.  The goal is to get to 50,000 words in thirty consecutive days -- the "thirty consecutive days" being the month of November. For more info (and to join in the fun!) check out the NaNoWriMo site.  You can add me as a friend here.