30 April 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.  

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.  

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.  

She's wrong.

 The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was, in short, a Twilight-remake in almost every sense of the word.  The main character, Mara, was pitiful with her one-track mind.  The plot was not executed very well, though held promise.  In fact, the only part of the story I liked was the humor.  The rest fell apart for me -- the characters, the plot, the setting, the magic, everything.  I somehow made it through and the ending did throw me for a loop, a clever trick since I do feel like I might want to figure out what happens next.

Mara was awful.  Irritating, with her inability to decide whether she's going to stand up to someone or run away like a coward.  Her inconsistencies ruined her for me.  Couldn't keep her shirt on, or her priorities straight.  For some reason, I did like Noah a bit.  Not in a, "Ohmygawd so hawwwt!" But because he had more depth to his character than the main character's.  He was a bit too typical, though, with the whole misunderstood rich boy/bad boy complex.  I kept thinking, "When's he gonna sneak into her room and watch her sleep?"

The plot was just drama.  Dramadramadrama.  From the moment she met Noah to practically the end of the book, the entire thing was dominated with their relationship.  So the plot was a little sketchy when it finally made an appearance.  Nothing made sense and not in a "Oh this is so creepy but so cool" kind of way.  More like, "Hurry up and make a point already" kind of way.

Nothing emotionally tied me to this book.  And besides the humor, the only other thing I really appreciated was the symbolism going on.  Mara = death, Noah = life.  Ying and yang coming together.  It was clever, but not enough.  On a single page alone, there were three lines I swear came straight out of Twilight.  Bleh.

Maybe I'll continue onto the next book.  Michelle Hodkin left a pretty decent cliffhanger.  If Mara doesn't get her act together, though, forget it.  I'm just grateful there isn't a love triangle.  Small mercies.

Book Info:

  • pages - hardcover, 452
  • published - September 2011
  • publisher - Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
  • genre - paranormal romance
  • received via - amazon
  • rating - 3/5
  • series - Mara Dyer
    • The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
    • The Evolution of Mara Dyer (coming October, 2012)