23 April 2012

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

A stunning, breathtaking read that I did not mind taking the time out of my midterm study schedule to read.  This came highly recommended from my best friend who "Oh my god, just love it so much!".  In retrospect, the shine wore off a bit around the edges, but mostly, I would recommend this book to anyone.

What caught me was the writing.  Tahereh Mafi busted so many writing rules, man.  It was awesome.  Word vomit has never been so attractive.  The style was a highly effective heartbeat to Juliette's wild and dangerous ability and volatile personality.  It was all at once distancing and dude-ever-heard-of-personal-space kind of personal.

Juliette herself was so-so.  She was awesome enough to warrant my attention but I was hoping for a bit more character development.  She seemed more like a child turned super hero by the end of the book, not scarred teenager running from the Reestablishment.  Still, I cheered for her and nearly had a few heart attacks at her near misses.

The romance was...well.  This is a two-sided issue.  My Amelia-be-reasonable side tells me that it was too fast, too furious, too everything but good.  My Amelia-get-a-grip side says that there was plenty of foundation, plenty of heat, plenty of time and it was great.  Averaging the sides together, I say that I'm interested to find out where her relationship goes in the second book.  I hope it lasts, too (no matter what the Amelia-be-reasonable side thinks).

The world scared the crap out of me, simply reinforcing why I don't read dystopians.  It was a bit like The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood in that the change between everyday life and Reestablishment was very quick, and very recent.  There is still evidence of the world we live in now, which is creepy to the max.

I totally understand the hype around this book. I can't wait for the sequel.

Quotes
Dear God.
They're trying to kill me.
They've done it on purpose.
To torture me, to torment me, to keep me from sleeping through the night ever again.  His arms are tatted up, half sleeves to his elbows.  His eyebrow is missing a ring they must've confiscated.  Dark blue eyes dark brown hair sharp jawline strong lean frame.  Gorgeous.  Dangerous.  Terrifying.  Horrible. (p. 3)
Book Info

  • pages - hardcover, 352
  • published - November 2011
  • publisher - HarperCollins
  • genre - dystopian
  • received via - fangirl best friend :)
  • rating - 5/5
  • series - Shatter Me
    • Shatter Me
    • Unravel Me (coming 2013)
    • Untitled #3 (coming 2013)