25 April 2012

Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter

The last thing Cammie Morgan remembers is leaving the Gallagher Academy to protect her friends and family from the Circle of Cavan--an ancient terrorist organization that has been hunting her for over a year. But when Cammie wakes up in an alpine convent and discovers months have passed, she must face the fact that her memory is now a black hole. The only traces left of Cammie’s summer vacation are the bruises on her body and the dirt under her nails, and all she wants is to go home.

Once she returns to school, however, Cammie realizes that even the Gallagher Academy now holds more questions than answers. Cammie, her friends, and mysterious spy-guy Zach must face their most difficult challenge yet as they travel to the other side of the world, hoping to piece together the clues that Cammie left behind. It’s a race against time. The Circle is hot on their trail and willing stop at nothing to prevent Cammie from remembering what she did last summer.

Cover Operations Report
On the twenty-fifth of April, Operative Robinson engaged in the review of a top secret document, the fifth installment in a report regarding the progress of Operative Morgan (currently in remission).  The review that follows is accurate to the best of Operative Robinson's ability.

Report Summary
PRO:  Spies.  And all that it entails.
CON:  Middle grade label.
PRO:  Spy boys.  And all that that entails. ;)
CON:  No movie.  For realz!?
PRO:  Much edgier writing style.
CON:  Not enough spy boys.

Huzzah for spy books!  Ironic thing is, one of my friends got me onto this series by accident, and she hardly ever reads.  The first book in the series, I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You was shoved underneath her bed and, like any true reader, I fished it out, asked about it, and the rest is history.  I love spy books, but Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series is practically one of a kind.  There's nothing to compare it to!  Not like that's a problem, really.  No other spy series could touch this one.

For (basically) the only one of its kind, I wish it was higher up there in terms of reader level.  I'm glad that it doesn't have a bunch of hot and heavy scenes and doesn't have any swearing, but some (just some) of the themes come off as kiddie.  

That was certainly true for the first book, at least.  Now at the fifth in the series, Cammie is going through much tougher stuff and the writing style and plot got a lot edgier.  The older, more mature themes and writing style set a darker backdrop to the plot, showing Cammie's older thought process.  I felt on more of a level with her on this book, versus the first four.  Still cheered the heck out for her.

Love them spy boys.  And there should be more.  That is all I shall say on the subject. ;)

I cannot believe this series is not a movie.  It would be an awesome movie.  Just saying.

The only legit problem I have with this series is that you almost have to read them back to back in order to keep track of who's who and what the heck is going on between books.  I completely forgot how the fourth book ended and had to piece it together from the fifth.  So I'm rereading the series this summer.  Again, just saying.

Quotes
I can't say for certain, but I've got to admit that if this whole spy thing doesn't work out, I might seriously consider joining a convent.  Really, when you think about it, it's not that different from life at the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women. (p. 11)

Book Info:
  • pages - hardcover, 294
  • published - March 2012
  • publisher - Hyperion Books
  • genre - contemporary fiction
  • received via - amazon :)
  • rating - 5/5
  • series - Gallagher Girls
    • I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You
    • Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy
    • Don't Judge a Girl By Her Cover
    • Only the Good Spy Young
    • Out of Sight, Out of Time
    • Untitled #6 (coming 2013)