13 December 2011

Just For Kicks: Hair

Just For Kicks is a weekly meme held by me, The Authoress, that lets us share whatever random thing we want--whether it's book related or not is up to you.

#16 - Hair

Holy cow.  I had no idea that doing your hair was going to be more akin to going to the dentist's office right before the holidays rather than a stroll in the park.  (I realize what an ignorant comment that is, but take pity on a poor country girl.)

My experience with hair recently is...significant.  Let me regale you with my tale.

I don't do much with my hair.  First off, it goes up.  Every.  Single.  Day.  The days I let it down last year were momentous.  My God.  I mean, everyone noticed and teased (lightly) and I got plenty of compliments because, as I've been told, "I look interesting with my hair down."  *eye roll*  (It made me press my lips together irritably when, this year, I let my hair down for a week and two people commented. o.O)

My regular up-do (a simple, sort-of bun--NO PONYTAILS *shudder*) is no longer working for me.  My hair is getting so long that my bun won't stay for longer than a few hours, and will come down much easier than normal when I'm doing a strenuous activity.  So it was going to go one of two ways: I'd do what I've always wanted to do and chop it all off for a pixie cut, OR (the more popular view) I could grow it out and cut it for Locks of Love.

I was significantly out numbered in favor in growing it out.  *sigh*

Well, hell.  If I was going to grow it out, I was going to have to find a better way to keep it out of my face.  I'd found a picture whilst browsing weheartit.com of instructions for a simple, but secure bun.  I couldn't find any others like it, so I went to Youtube, typed in "simple styles for long hair" and found a dozen or so styles (some simple, some not so much) that I could probably pull off with my long hair.

I tried a few of them.  And failed.  Miserably.  (Well, actually, the first one I tried went beautifully, but I'd tried it for-the-heck-of-it right before I went to bed, so in the grander scheme of things, it doesn't count.)

The problem: my hair is SO FLIPPING silky and undamaged that bobby pins flat out refuse to hold even a strand in place.  (Now I completely understand my cousin's frustration when she tried curling my hair last year, though that turned out rather well.)  Point is, I've had a hard time.

What I really want to do is this really cool side French braid (the first style).  Problem was, I didn't know how to French braid.  So I had to learn how to do that.  So I had to look it up on Youtube and once I had, I faced another problem: no one to practice on.  The solution to that came when I told my friend my problem and she came over so I could use her as a hair dummy.  We watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 while I pulled and yanked at her hair.  It was a minimal success.  I got the general idea, but my friend's hair was so fluffy that it was rather counterproductive in the first place.

Then I was at school, in the computer lab with my Forensic Science class, and I was done with my work (since I'm a good little kiddie like that).  So I got up and started braiding one of my friend's hair.  She loved the feel of someone playing with her hair as well.  I did a double braid....successfully.  I was thrilled.  She was thrilled.

Today, since I was completely done with my work in that class, I managed to braid and re-braid her hair three times.  And then another girl saw me braiding, came over, sat down and said, "Here, braid my hair."  Now that was an interesting experience for me because since she's black, her hair was different from my other friend, who's Asian.  It still worked though, and she loved it.

My French braiding career is coming along wonderfully.

Too bad I can't braid my own flipping hair.

I think once I get the technique down, I can do it, but right now the odds are not in my favor.  I've successfully managed a simple bun that had been giving me trouble before.  (Again, the Ineffectiveness of Bobby Pins!)

Thank you, Youtube, for having such a wealth of totally awesome people demonstrating awesome techniques that even I can understand.

Did you know I actually curled my hair the other day?  Without the use of a curling iron (which I don't own, by the way)?

Now I'm kinda getting into this whole hair thing.  I've actually been wearing earrings and attacked my necklace collection and put it to good use.

At this rate, in a year or so I'll be a fully qualified girl.