28 November 2011

Just For Kicks: NaNoWriMo Sign Off

Just For Kicks is a weekly meme held by me, The Authoress, that lets us share whatever random thing we want--whether it's book related or not is up to you.

#14 - NaNoWriMo (Part III)

So here's me saying "so long" to NaNoWriMo 2011.  This is my third year participating and this is the third year I haven't made my 50,000 work mark.  Yes, enter my epic sigh of self-deprecation here.  Thing is, for those of you who haven't done it should know, NaNoWriMo is hard.  I mean, God.  You're doing the decidedly stupid move of deciding to dedicate a whole month to getting 50,000 measly words down onto paper (or screen, whatever).

At least my attempt proves what I've been trying to tell people all along: I'm crazy.

Still.  I didn't actually make my goal, which saddens me just a bit.  (The rest of me is relieved it's over.)  I was determined going in to make it this year.  I already had a story but I was planning on adding 50,000 words on top of that.

Good thing?  I added 12,139 words I wouldn't otherwise have.  I made some major breakthroughs in my story (with a little help from my critique partner) that would have come much, much later (if at all) if I hadn't been pushing it this month.  Sure, I had a total of 15 days where my daily word count was 0.  That's half the month right there.  But that also means that I was writing the other half of the month.

So anyways.  To recap, here's a summary of my doings: (as of November 28th)

  • I had 15 days of 0 word count.
  • 6 of those days I made it over the 1,000 word mark.
  • I wrote 88 words on Thanksgiving day.
  • My highest daily word count was 2,624 (on the 12th)
  • Seeing my daily word count on a graph makes for a very pretty graph (if a bit sporadic).
  • The only pep talks I read (provided by NaNoWriMo.org) were by Erin Morgenstern and Christopher Paolini.  They were highly entertaining and inspiring.
  • I found out I do my best writing when I'm stalling.
  • I found out one of my main characters has a deadly fear of needles.
  • I found out my main character can be very profound when she wants to.
  • I found out that just staring at Novel Shortcuts by Laura Whitcomb will not make me a better writer.
  • I found out that a school library is not, in fact, conducive to meeting one's daily word count. (Kudos if you actually know why.)
Yep.  That's it for me.

Now, true.  I still have three days left to fill and I know I will fill them with some type of word count.  So by the end of this venture, I will inevitably have more than my current 12,139 words.  I'm guessing that in the next three days I'll break 13,000, maybe 14,000 if I'm lucky.

Well, I think I'll make sugar cookies this weekend to celebrate my fine accomplishments.

What did you accomplish this NaNoWriMo season?