30 July 2011

Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly

Willow knows she’s different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people’s dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces, and that he’s one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil.


This idea of angels being the bad guys and the assassins the heroes was fascinating and one that L.A. Weatherly put together nicely. The story was told in a simplistic yet effective writing style, yet there was major flaw that kept me from fully enjoying this story.  The characters.  Even amidst a story full of a great mix of action and romance, the characters began to wear at me as the plot progressed and it strongly affected my rating for this book.

The beginning was great.  I was immediately captured by the story and the characters and before I knew it, I'd burned through the first hundred pages.  I felt this was going to be a great story because Willow had a great introductory scene, full of humor and a sharp awareness.  And she's a mechanic.  Brownie points right there.  Alex had a deep complexity about him and I immediately got a sense for his character, thank goodness.

Then the romance hit.  And everything went downhill.

In a nutshell, this book could have been remarkably more enjoyable if the characters hadn't played towards every cliché line ever invented. Given spicier lines that were more character-specific, I would have been more invested in the story, after I got about three hundred pages in, I started rolling my eyes and fifty pages after that, I had to work towards making it through the entire book.  Cliché to the last word.

This idea was so clever and everything seemed to be primed for a read full of humor, breathless adventure and steaming romance.  Yet it just didn't deliver.

(I did like how the tense switches persons when there was a change between Willow and Alex.  Willow's narration was in first person; Alex's in third.  I thought that was an interesting touch.)

Book Info:

  • pages – hardcover, 449
  • published – May 2011
  • publisher – Candlewick Press
  • genre – urban fantasy
  • received via – the library :)
  • rating – 3/5
  • series – Angel Trilogy
    • Angel Burn
    • Angel Fire (October 1st, 2011)
    • Angel Fever