28 March 2011

Stray by Rachel Vincent


There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .

And I'm one of them.

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .

  • A great new series to add to my favorites.  I just gotta say this first: if you loved Mercy Thompson, you’ll love Faythe Sanders.  I loved the attitude, humor and adventure in this story.  (The fact that it was over 600 pages long didn’t hurt either.)  I’ve never read anything about werecats before and it was a refreshing change from werewolves, though they share very similar mentalities.  I’m so glad this book came so highly recommended from a trusted source, otherwise I never would have picked it up.
  • Talk about kickass.  How come all the believable, tough heroines are in adult books?  Somebody tries to write about a teenager who’s seasoned and tough and it comes off ALL wrong.  Still, this was such a relief.  Faythe was so cool and I loved reading through her eyes.  It was easy for me to connect with her inner struggles since I too squirm under authority.  Her external struggles just freaked me out but that was the intent and I commend Rachel Vincent for such incredible writing.
  • So it’s an adult book.  I didn’t even realize that until I was over 200 pages in and slammed into the first sex scene.  Still.  This can be appropriate for the more “seasoned” young adults.  For instance, if you’re a young adult who loves the Mercy Thompson series, you’ll be okay with this series.  Seriously.  It will be a new favorite.
  • The writing, the humor.  God.  I am SUCH a sucker for funny books.  Both aspects are tied in with the very first line.
"The moment the door opened I knew an ass-kicking was inevitable. Whether I'd be giving it or receiving it was still a bit of a mystery."
  • The plot was fantastically put together.  There were time when my rational brain was going, “Dude, there’s nothing going on,” but my irrational, literary-supported side was so engrossed in the story and the character interactions that I didn’t even care.  Everything was funny and interesting, even if it seemed that nothing in particular was going on.  As it is a series, I know that a lot of the seemingly pointless character interactions are really the foundations to the rest of the series.
  • In essence, you really need to read this book if you need a good dose of girl power.  But if you’re a little squeamish when it comes to sex scenes (there are also scenes that include rape) then I suggest waiting a few years before picking this up.  (Note: Meaning you WILL pick it up eventually…you’re just waiting until your mind is further corrupted by the world first…*wink*)
Book Info:
  • pages – mass market paperback, 618
  • published – June 2007
  • publisher – Mira
  • genre – urban fantasy/paranormal romance/adult
  • series – Shifters
    • Stray
    • Rouge
    • Pride
    • Prey
    • Shift
    • Alpha
  • received via – the now-shunned library
  • rating – 5/5 <—for real ya’ll
  • special thanks – Ash @ Smash Attack Reads