01 March 2011

Deadly Little Lies by Laurie Faria Stolarz


Last fall, sixteen-year-old Camelia fell for Ben, the mysterious new boy at school who turned out to have a very mysterious gift--pyschometry, the ability to sense the future through touch. But just as Camelia and Ben's romance began to heat up, he abruptly left town. Brokenhearted, Camelia has spent the last few months studying everything she can about psychometry, and experiencing her own strange brushes with premonition. Camelia wonders if Ben's abilities have somehow rubbed off on her. Can the power of psychometry be transferred?
Even once Ben returns to school, Camelia can't get close enough to share her secret with him. Despite the romantic tension between them, Ben remains aloof, avoiding contact. Then when an unexpected kiss leads to a frightening argument, Camelia makes the painful decision to let Ben go and move on. Adam, the hot new guy at work, seems good for her in ways Ben wasn't. Adam is easygoing, and seems to really care about her. 
But when Camelia and Adam start dating, a surprising love triangle results. A chilling sequence of events upturns secrets from Ben's past--and Adam's. Someone is lying, and it’s up to Camelia to figure out who—before it’s too late.

  • “Deadly Little Lies” is one of those books that I love to hate.  The MC, Camelia, drives me absolutely bonkers!  It’s to the point where I wish I had a bottle of JD to help me through this!  Camelia cannot make up her full-of-hot-air mind about what she wants from Ben.  Ben was being a butt half the time and Adam was just a creeper.  There were cliches all over the place and half the things that happened were just plain bizarre.
  • The Characters:
    • Camelia, honey, you piss me off.  At first you want Ben to leave you alone but only sometimes.  All while you pine for him every night.  And then when you do see him, it’s “Don’t expect too much, dude, I’m not feeling you anymore.”  Liar, liar, pants on fire!  Your mindset is constantly twisting between wanting Ben back, distrusting Ben, and panting after Adam.  You do know that Ben can be a total jerk, right?  He is not perfect.  The sooner you realize this the happier we will all be.
    • Camelia is also incredibly selfish.  Her friends are going through some really rough times at home and yet their conversations are taken up with her problems.  She seems so fake with her consoling them.
    • Another thing I don’t like is Ben.  For god’s sake!  I want to slap him the entire time.  He guilt trips Camelia when she’s trying to move on.  He’s being all aloof and doesn’t want her to move on.  What a butt.  Not exactly on my list of book boyfriends.
    • I don’t know how wise it was to make Camelia the main character.  For one thing, she makes it a point to point out the obvious.  Example: her parent’s cars are in the driveway.  Yes, Camelia, that means they’re home.  Very clever.  We don’t need to be told the connection; we can make it for ourselves.
  • Alright.  What appeals to me about this series is how freaking creepy it is.  Even though some of the allure is lost with Camelia’s ineptitude.  You can sense the something’s-not-right with this story and I like that.  I like creepy books sometimes.
  • Talk about maxing out the creep factor.  Ben?  Yeah.  Appearing outside your ex-girlfriend’s window does not score you any brownie points.  If I saw a dude outside my window—the fact that my room is on a second floor aside and that would be creepy anyway—I’d be freaking out.  But of course Camelia would have a balcony conveniently there for such uses.
  • The lines were incredibly lame.  It felt like I was listening to a soap opera.  All the irony just turns into a cliché.  Oh and choking on your drink?  Good grief.  That’s become so well-used that I’m getting sick of it.  If one more character chokes on their drink because they got some freaky news, I’m going to be throwing some books across the room.
  • To wrap up, I’d just like to say that despite all this I’m going to be reading the third and final book, “Deadly Little Games”.  Everyone has that book they love to hate and this series happens to be mine.
Book Info:
  • pages – hardcover, 288
  • published – November 2009
  • publisher – Hyperion
  • genre – urban fantasy
  • received via – library (FTW!)
  • rating – 3/5
  • series – Touch:
    • Deadly Little Secret
    • Deadly Little Lies
    • Deadly Little Games