26 February 2011

The Buccaneer’s Apprentice by V. Briceland


On his first sea voyage away from the magical city of Cassaforte, seventeen-year-old Nic Dattore awakens to find the vessel overrun by marauding pirates—and everyone else on board kidnapped or killed. After slaying the pirate who attacked him, Nic tosses a torch into a cache of gunpowder and blows up the ship.

Washed up on a deserted island, Nic and a motley crew of castaways decide to commandeer the pirate ship to get home. They battle pirates, assassins, and a cursed ship with a powerful secret while racing against time to save Cassaforte from a diabolical plot.

A fascinating addition to an already well-built world.  Like I’ve probably said before way back when, but this guy is worthy of a Tamora Pierce mention—SEVERAL OF THEM!  First of all, who can resist pirate stories?  (Except me, when I’m in one of my moods.)  V. Briceland is awesome about leading people a certain way and then turning around and going, “Hahaha!  I seriously had you going for a loop, didn’t I?”  And even though Nic can be SUCH A DORK sometimes, I’d totally sail away with him.

Do you love Tamora Pierce books? (If you thought no I suggest you keep your eyes down and back away slowly…)  I can’t help but pair Tamora Pierce and V. Briceland together when it comes to their work.  Their writing styles differ, sure, but both create this FULL world in which we realize that not EVERYTHING revolves around the central character.  So we learn about the other countries that may or may not have anything to do with Nic’s predicament but we still know that they are THERE.

Which, unfortunately, not a lot of authors realize.  This is a a WORLD.  We need to know some pointless stuff so that our subconscious isn’t overloaded with importantimportantimportant stuff.
V. Briceland is a beast.  He leads you on and then spins you around and laughs when he says, “Oh what a trick!”  Which I HATE (but really respect, so I love it deep down).  I’m not saying that there’s tons of situations like this throughout the book, but stuff like this sticks with me, so it had to be mentioned.

The romance wasn’t as big in this one.  At least I thought so.  In “The Glass Maker’s Daughter,” it was painfully obvious who was going to get with who (whom?) but in this one, I was like…. “Um…they gonna do something or what?”  But it’s almost as if the connection is deeper and you don’t get all the nitty gritty details of their love lives because that’s just how good it is.

Let’s talk Nic.  I’d totally ask him to the movies (something like Pirates of the Caribbean 4?)  He was scarred and alone on an island and trying to figure what the heck was going on.  He was like that border-line bad boy with his sometimes sarcastic remarks and troubled past.  I liked his reactions, his thoughts, the way he figured things out.

V. Briceland sets the standard.  I want to know what else this guy is planning on doing.  A new series?  Continuing the Cassaforte Chronicles?  Will there be a fourth to stave off the impossible hunger I have for this series?
    Book Info:
    • pages – paperback, 349
    • published – April 2010
    • publisher – Flux
    • genre – fantasy
    • received via – BookDepo :)
    • rating – 5/5
    • series - The Cassaforte Chronicles
      • The Glass Maker's Daughter | Review
      • The Buccaneer's Apprentice
      • The Nascenza Conspiracy | Review