30 December 2010

Let It Snow (Part II) - A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green

Sparkling white snowdrifts, beautiful presents wrapped in ribbons, and multicolored lights glittering in the night through the falling snow. A Christmas Eve snowstorm transforms one small town into a romantic haven, the kind you see only in movies. Well, kinda. After all, a cold and wet hike from a stranded train through the middle of nowhere would not normally end with a delicious kiss from a charming stranger. And no one would think that a trip to the Waffle House through four feet of snow would lead to love with an old friend. Or that the way back to true love begins with a painfully early morning shift at Starbucks. Thanks to three of today's bestselling teen authors John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle the magic of the holidays shines on these hilarious and charming interconnected tales of love, romance, and breathtaking kisses.


  • This is the kind of story that gives me a glimmer of hope.  I mean, so here’s proof!  Proof that not all guys are sex-driven neanderthals who will  only commit their simple thoughts to cheerleaders and smoking hot girls.  Tobin (love that name) is an awesome dude.  I want a Tobin for Christmas, Santa.
  • So hilarious.  Even more so than Maureen Johnson’s “The Jubliee Express”.  *GASP*  I know!  That goes against the very nature of life!  John Green had me clutching my sides and simultaneously hoping my aunt didn’t kick me out for constantly laughing the roof off.  Now that I’ve only got Lauren Myracle’s story left, I’m slightly apprehensive.  I’ve never read anything of Lauren Myracle’s unlike in the case of Maureen Johnson and John Green.  I’ve never even heard of Lauren Myracle until now.  So.  We shall see.
  • As in the case of Mauren Johnson’s “The Jubilee Express,” there was plenty of surreal adventure.  I mean...come on.  The whole plot was driven by Tobin and JP’s hardwired need to see the cheerleaders at the Waffle House.  And since this plot is in the hands of John Green, you know that it will get crazy.
  • This is a fantastic holiday read.  Well, forget that.  Year round!  But it especially carries the warmth of Christmas.

Favorite Quotes:
(I actually put this one up on my personal Facebook. XD)
Mass Market Paperback edition

p. 149
“And Brittany didn’t get that you, like, aren’t really a girl.”

“If by that you mean that I dislike celebrity magazines, prefer food to anorexia, refuse to watch TV shows about models and hate the color pink, then yes.  I am proud to be not really a girl.”

p. 186
She slowed and we caught up with her.  “Honestly, Duke?” JP said, putting his arm around her.  “I hope this doesn’t hurt your feelings, but if I ever had a sex dream about you, I would have to locate my subconscious, remove it from my body, and beat it to death with a stick.”

I also love the first and entire paragraph on page 192 (just in case you have this book and happen to have the Mass Market Paperback edition--though the pages might be the same).

Book Info:
  • pages - paperback, 352
  • published - September 2008
  • publisher - Puffin
  • genre - collection
  • received via - Half-Price Bookstore
  • Part II of III