19 November 2010

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater


Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand—one who can see faeries. Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy who enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of thin air. Trouble is, the enigmatic and gorgeous Luke turns out to be a gallowglass—a soulless faerie assassin. An equally hunky—and equally dangerous—dark faerie soldier named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. Sworn enemies, Luke and Aodhan each have a deadly assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend. Deirdre had been wishing her life weren't so dull, but getting trapped in the middle of a centuries-old faerie war isn't exactly what she had in mind . . .



  • Alright, so I know ya'll are starting to get sick of me say "Oh God this book was GOOD!"  Ya'll are probably thinking I'm trippin'.  But I'm as surprised as you are minus the complaints cause I'm on such a good-book streak...which just ended with this book, cause you know how once you read a good book, it's hard to read another book if it doesn't equal in awesomeness?  Yeah, I got that.  In spades.  I didn't even bring a book with me to school today cause I was looking at my stack of books from the library going, "Oh yeah right.  And you say I'm trippin'."
  • This was awesome, though.  Maggie Stiefvater is one of my favorite authors and writers (notice how I say both.  No, they are NOT the same thing.  You can like an author and despise their writing--sometimes--but Maggie Stiefvater's just awesome all around--check out her song "The Golden Wood"...absolutely wonderful.)  Now lemme tell you just why I thought it was awesome.
  • So yeah, it's another faerie story.  I can see you now--"Oh GOD not ANOTHER one!"  Yeah, I know.  All the faerie stuff is crazy.  It's getting almost as bad as the vampires.  This one, while not absolutely dazzling and breath-taking like Maggie Stiefvater's "Wolves of Mercy Falls" series, still shows the amazing potential.  If I'd followed Maggie Stiefvater from her debut, I would have commented on how much potential the book showed.  (Even though it was riddled with grammar mistakes!  Jeepers!) 
  • It was a great romance.  A little too fluffy and insubstantial in some places, it followed the flash romance course rather than building up trust and sparks over time.  But it was the way Maggie Stiefvater presented it that caught my interest.  First of all, she makes the hero weird.  (THANK YOU!)  Luke was a crazy son of a gun--very clever and witty, he had quirks that just made him feel natural and all the more appealing.  (This, I believe, is a trait that I will identify immediately with Maggie Stiefvater.  Her heroes are not earth-shatteringly beautiful and perfect.  She gives them tortured souls and gives them a laundry list of character defects.)
    • A little note about Dee:  Normally, I'd have given up on the book just because of the wimpy, Jello-kneed girl who fainted a lot and never stood up to people.  But...gah!  There was something about Dee that made it different.  Sure, she fainted and got weak-kneed a lot, but I wouldn't call her wimpy.  She was sharp and had a wonderful sense of humor.  I actually really liked her, even if she won't ever classify as a favorite.
  • I loved the background info.  I've been fascinated by all kinds of mythology (particularly Greek and Celtic) and I liked the little tidbits I got throughout the book.  There were a few loose threads (which I guess there should be) that weren't tied off by the end but then again, there's a sequel.  (WOOT!)
  • I love Maggie Stiefvater's sense of humor.  Her conversations seem so real because they give the possibility of being crazy and random--just like we all are as teenagers.  The conversations aren't forced and above all, they're freaking hilarious. ^_^
  • If you liked "Shiver," you'll enjoy Maggie Stiefvater's previous work.
Book Info:
  • pages - paperback, 362
  • published - October 2008
  • publisher - Flux
  • genre - urban fantasy
  • rating - 5/5
  • series - Books of Faerie #1
    • Lament
    • Ballad
  • Received via - library :)