23 October 2010

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

  • In a cinch: Great idea, poorly executed.  It's a real shame how often this happens.  "I Am Number Four" had awesome potential.  I mean, aliens aren't something everyone's raving about anymore.  It's been overshadowed by the hordes of vampire books descending on the young adult sections everywhere.  The idea of an alien coming to earth, assuming a new identity every year, being forced to run because the race that took over and destroyed their home planet is coming after them.  These people living among us don't even remember each other--all they know is how many of them have died by a circle branded into their ankles.  It helps that they must be killed in numerical order.  Thus the title cover: "Three are dead.  I Am Number Four."  You see the cleverness here?  And they've all got awesome powers!
  • The writing.  Well, it left something--a lot of somethings--to be desired.  There was very little amount of grace when it came to the structure or style.  Events that you think should be held with kid gloves are blundered through like a bull in a china shop.
  • I couldn't get a lot out of the characters.  They all seemed so shallow and so flighty.  It's reflected in the romance.  This supposedly "deep" connection as me going, "Are you serious?"  It's like John (the main character) was so starved for something that he'd take anything he could find.  No substance to their romance whatsoever.  The only character with some life in him was Sam (the geeky sidekick) and the dog (Bernie Kosar). 
  • The plot followed along too generic a road.  I mean, you all remember Star Wars right?  I found myself just skimming the last few pages.  I didn't even care about what happened.
  • There's a second book, but I don't think I'm going to read it.  The writing pretty much ruined the whole thing for me.  I was really looking forward to this book, too, because it looked like such a refreshing idea.  But alas, it was not so.
Book Info:
  • pages - hardcover, 440
  • published - August 2010
  • publisher - HarperCollins
  • genre - sci-fi
  • series - Lorien Legacies #1
    • sequel - "The Power of Six" coming 2011
  • received via - library