04 September 2010

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White


Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal.  Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still.  Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies.  She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths.  Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.


So much for normal.


  • I was expecting more.  All the reviews I've read say that Evie is a butt-kicking heroine and she's so tough.  But, as I read, I wasn't that impressed.  In my mind, she wasn't living up to that reputation.  She was constantly crying and, for a girl who was forever bagging-and-tagging paranormals, she didn't think well on her feet.  I was expecting someone with more of a warrior heart, I should say.  And personally, I couldn't fathom her love for the color pink.  (I don't like the color pink.)
  • The world was original.  Definitely not a world you see every day.  I loved the mix of sci-fi and supernatural as well as the history behind the agency's beginning, etc.  The faerie involvement was different too, even though Evie's ignorance hindered ever knowing more about how things worked.
  • It was predictable.  Perhaps this is just me, but I found myself knowing what was going to happen several chapters before it did.  I think there were only a few things that surprised me just a bit--but that was due to lack of information given.  
  • The romance was shaky.  Looking back on it, I wasn't too impressed with the romance.  It was cute, very much so in fact, but it was another relationship that settled on circumstances rather than something stemming from a friendship.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's become the thing to do now.  Lend, as a character, was pretty cool.  Very witty and sweet.  The shape-shifting thing was pretty cool, too.  Loved that part.
  • As always, go read it for yourself.  My opinion is my own, so it's up to you to go form your own thoughts on this book.  
  • The Cover:  I really love the cover.  The model is a good depiction of Evie and I love the simple font used.   It makes it easy to read. :)
Favorite Quotes:
p. 209 - 
"Listen, corpse girl, do you know what I did?  I broke section one of the Charter.  As in, the  section.  As in, let a paranormal loose without authorization and be locked up for the rest of your mortal life.  Even if I wanted to go back, which I don't, and even if there was anything to back to, which there probably isn't, I couldn't.  So bite me."

^^ definitely Evie's shining moment. :)

Book Info
  • pages - hardcover, 352
  • published - August 31st, 2010
  • publisher - HarperTeen
  • genre - urban fantasy/paranormal romance
  • series - Paranormalcy #1
  • debut author