|Smash Attack Reads - CLICKETH!|
* * *
My ideal main FEMALE character needs a hell of a lot of sass, wit, independence, determination, loyalty, courage and the ability to use her brains to outmaneuver her opponent. She also needs to remain true to herself and not accept No for an answer. A sprinkling of tattoos and some killer fighting moves never hurt anyone either. My ideal main MALE character needs to be sarcastic (#1 quality, please!), confident, charming, intelligent, protective, humorous, unafraid to show emotion, and come with a fierce attitude! Physically, I love men with glasses, dimples, goatees and curls! And bodies that are chiseled from stone, please! Also, I love me a tortured soul. I always cry for the tortured ones. They are my Achilles’ heel. :D
Of course, not all characters will possess these qualities all at once, but they are out there!
Female Characters I Love
- Rachel Morgan from The Hollows series by Kim Harrison (Urban Fantasy): She’s independent, sassy, loyal to her friends, determined, intelligent, compassionate, emotional, stands up for herself, has serious fight moves, and she’s a witch! I think Rachel might be the epitome of awesomeness in a female character, in my opinion.
- Bryn Clare from the Raised by Wolves series by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Young Adult Fantasy): I’m impressed with the maturity and courage that Bryn possesses. She uses her brain and has sass and independence.
- Faythe Sanders from the Shifters series by Rachel Vincent (Urban Fantasy): Faythe starts out the series pretty vulnerable and immature, but she grows a lot over the series. She becomes quite the leader.
- Cat Crawfield from Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost (Paranormal Romance): This woman kicks ass first and asks questions later. ‘Nuff said.
- Mercy Thompson from the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs (Urban Fantasy): Mercy is pretty calm and collected, I think, and uses her brains. She’s a pretty good problem solver, and can handle herself in a throw down. Plus, she’s a pretty coyote. *pets Mercy*
- Claire Danvers from The Morganville Vampire Series by Rachel Caine (Young Adult Fantasy): Young Claire is a serious brainiac and she isn’t afraid to show it. She is a petite, slim girl with no fighting skills (not that it would help in a town full of vamps), so she relies on her intelligence and on-her-feet- thinking to get her out of situations (that, and her boyfriend, Shane, and friends, Michael and Eve!)
- Joanna Archer from the Sign of the Zodiac series by Vicki Pettersson (Urban Fantasy): Joanna has sass, wit, courage, independence, determination and she knows Krav Maga! Jo will lay down the law –watch out!
- Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (Children Fantasy): Ms. Granger is extremely intelligent, loyal, compassionate and fiercely determined, as well as very mature for her age.
- Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins (Young Adult Fantasy): Katniss is determined, loyal, compassionate, courageous, intelligent, knows how to think on her feet (while being chased!) and can use a bow and arrow like Robin Hood.
- Xhex from Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward (Paranormal Romance): This is one fierce femme fatale, but she also has a very vulnerable side to her. She is my favorite female character of the BDB series.
|Katniss & Peeta from The Hunger Games - source here|
Male Characters I Love
I must state that all characters below are sexy in their own ways. Some are XXX sexy while others are sexy because of their compassion for others.
- Acheron Parthenopaeus from the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Paranormal Romance): Ash is the epitome of “tortured soul” and while he never fully recovers from the pain he endured, he still uses his status and power to assist others, instead of saying “Fock the world.” He is a phenomenal example of awesomeness and my very soul bleeds for him!
- Bones from Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost (Paranormal Romance): Bones is the epitome of sex, but it isn’t all he has going for him. His fierce love and devotion to Cat is very admirable, he has charm and swagger, one hell of a sexy accent, raunchy humor, and some serious tricks up his sleeve. He is SO fun.
- Jace Wayland from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare (Young Adult Fantasy): The witty, sarcastic, sauciness that spouts from this young man’s lips sends me into heaven. J His I’m-all-that personality is only a front. He is a vulnerable person who finally allows himself to feel when he meets Clary. He is strong, intelligent and very protective.
- Patch from Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (Young Adult Fantasy): Another saucy one! And he has curls. :)
- Zsadist, Vishous and John Matthew from Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward (Paranormal Romance): All three of these hot tamales are tortured souls who get their HEA. While they are fierce fighters, they are putty in the hands of their women. They are loyal, confident, humorous, protective and have serious fighting skills!
- Percy Jackson from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan (Children Fantasy): I adore this kid! He doesn’t always think before he acts but he is very loyal and protective of his friends. And, he’s the son of Poseidon (my favorite Mythological god!)
- Harry Potter from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (Children Fantasy): Seriously, what’s not to like? Harry is pure awesomesauce.
- Aeron and Lucien from the Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter (Paranormal Romance): More tortured souls who get their HEA. They have very different personalities but both man up when the time comes and stand by their friends and their women.
- Shane Collins from The Morganville Vampire Series by Rachel Caine (Young Adult Fantasy): I love how protective Shane is of Claire, yet he doesn’t hover. He realizes soon enough that Claire doesn’t need a babysitter (most of the time). He is charming, loyal and funny.
- Peeta Mellark from The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins (Young Adult Fantasy): Peeta is probably the most admirable character I’ve discovered in a long time. I am moved over and over by his kindness, generosity and compassion for others, even if it may hinder his own well-being. I think that it would be hard to find a real person that encompasses all of Peeta’s incredible traits. He is truly a work of art.
* * *
Ash and I both love the Mercy Thompson books--YOU SHOULD TOO! (Translation: If you haven't read the Mercy Thompson series, you totally should. I mean, talk about awesomesauce. Seriously. Why are you still reading this? You should be at the library checking this series out!)