14 September 2010

BBAW - Interview with Heather @ Capricious Reader

Interview w/
BBAW Event


Whoa. Did I read that right? FIVE YEARS? That’s how long you’ve been blogging? That’s crazy! So since you’re obviously the expert here, what kind of advice would you give to newbie--*cough*--I mean, new bloggers?

Yeah, it is crazy, isn’t it? Five years! I still don’t know where the time has gone. My main advice is to have fun and be yourself. Because at the end of the day, you are the one you have to please. It’s not like we’re getting paid for this, right? 

You’ve got a crazy eclectic taste for books. What advice would you have for readers who are reluctant to branch out of a specific genre? (Like me, who frowns in trepidation whenever I catch sight of an “oldie” book.) 


Just jump in there and try something! Ask friends what they like, ask your teachers (believe me, they know what’s good and want to tell you!), ask a trusted book blogger! Another thing I like to look at is writers who inspired my favorite writers. They are usually way more well read than I am! 

So back to the five year deal. How has your blog changed over the years? 


Well, at first, I didn’t have a clue what I was doing! I think I merrily went along for about 4 or 5 months, being perfectly ridiculous, but then, oh then? I discovered BOOK BLOGS. And the rest was history. As the years have passed, I hope I have become a better writer. I know I’ve read a heck of a lot of great books and that is definitely all thanks to book blogging. 


Do you reread books? If you do, which one have you reread the most? 


Yes! I am a firm believer in the power of rereading. I have reread, without a doubt, The Princess Bride by William Goldman the most. I first read it when I was about 13 year old. And I have probably read it at least 20 more times in the *gasp* 19 years since. God, I feel old. 


Are you a library or bookstore type of person? Would you buy a book that you haven’t read yet? 


Both, but mainly library. I mean, it’s a free book, right? And yes, I have bought a book I haven’t read way too many times to admit to. 


So many books, so little time! How do you determine which book to pick up next? Bonus points if they yell at you from across the room with their tiny voices. 


Of course they yell at me from across the room! I’ve even had them jump off my desk to get my attention. Seriously! I was packing books for my beach vacation when ROOM by Emma Donoghue leaped off my desk and landing in my bag! How could I tell it no after that? 


Is there a book that you’re embarrassed you haven’t read yet? 


There were several I could have said, but I’ve managed to read a few of them this year! The Color Purple, Agatha Christie, even The Handmaid’s Tale! And Atwood scared the ever living hate outta me! The only one left, really, is Steinbeck. I tried, but I *sigh* just don’t get it. 


Do you blog/read at a specific time of day? 


As a mother to two young children, it is whenever I can find a minute! 


Tell us about your reviewing process. 


I’m not so sure I have a process. I usually just write whatever comes to me. I guess I have a slight formula in that I try to write my own summary (I only use the publisher’s when the book defies description) and then write my feelings about it. But sometimes, if I’m like really excited about a book, I will gush and scare myself into shutting up. But gosh, it’s fun when that happens! 


Alright, for closers, how many books would you say you read in a year? 


I used to aim for 52 books a year. You know, 1 book a week? But then last year, I surprised myself by reading 121 books! I’m pushing 86 right now, so I’m hoping to get there again this year. 

Now wasn't that a fantastic interview?  Admit it, you laughed.  Cause Heather is just that good. :)  This was so much fun even though Heather and I did this totally at the last minute.  This chica is one cool cucumber. ^_^  I mean, seriously, 86?  What is there not to admire?!  Oh, and the fact that she's from NORTH CAROLINA!  Which is where I myself am stationed.  Does BBAW does this on purpose?  Cause that totally rocks if they do. :)

You can rock out with the BBAW events by visiting the BBAW website.