23 August 2010

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs

Shapeshifter Mercy Thompson hit the #1 spot on the bestseller list with Iron Kissed...

And she's planning a return trip.

Marsilia, the local vampire queen, has learned that Mercy crossed her by slaying a member of her clan.  Now, she's out for blood.  But since Mercy is protected from direct reprisal by the werewolf pack--and her relationship with its sexy Alpha--it's not Mercy's blood Marsilia is after...

It's her friends'.

I LOVE this series!  I know a lot of you dear readers love this series, too, and I can totally see why.  Patricia Briggs brought together the perfect mix of attitude, originality and a fantastic writing style into this series--as I'm sure she does for all her other novels.  As soon as I become the proud owner of the Mercy Thompson books, I will gladly start on Patricia Briggs' other works.

It's great to see a girl with attitude while still remaining believable.  You can connect with Mercy's character on SOME level or another.  I absolutely love her ability to shift, to fight, and to generally cause trouble.  And she's hilarious!  She's also humble and even while she remains independent, she knows when to ask for help and when she needs to stand on her own two feet.

Patricia Briggs keeps it clean.  So sure, there are a few things that really should be read by an older teenager's eyes only, but not for language.  It's not what you'd expect when you walk into a house of werewolves.  I know I'd expect swearing through the roof!  But considering most of the wolves are not even of this century, they believe it improper to swear in front of ladies.  Kudos to them!  Also, there's usually only one or two scenes that are appropriate for older teens, leaving the rest of the book totally acceptable to all ages.  I love that!  I love authors who keep it clean.

Patricia Briggs has an excellent style for mystery.  I usually don't go for just-mystery books, but P.B. creates the perfect blend: romance, mystery, action and adventure, a tinge of horror and plenty of suspense.  She's got all her bases covered.  I think this is also what makes Mercy's life seem so believable.  It's not ALL about the romance!  It's not ALL about the action!  Absolute brilliance.

If you've followed Mercy's tale thus far, this book won't disappoint.  I was still holding my breath at the end where Mercy's neck-deep in trouble.  I was still going, "Ohcrap, ohcrap, ohcrap!" when Mercy went under in trouble.  I cannot wait to buy this series!  I've got the sequel "Silver Borne" requested at the library.

You know, I love the relevancy of the titles.  Most authors just toss out titles because they sound good.  Well, Patricia Briggs does it both ways.  She makes it sound good AND relevant!  Once you read the book, you'll understand what "Bone Crossed" means.  I LOVE that!  I also adore the covers!  They changed up the fonts from books 1-3 from 4-5 but hey, it still looks awesome.  Like, holy fudge awesome. ^_^

Favorite Quotes: 
Samuel reached out and ruffled my hair.  "He was checking up on you."

"Well," I said.  "At least he didn't ask me if I was okay.  I think I'd have had to something to him if he had."

"Hey, Mercy," said Samuel with false solicitude, "are you okay?"

I punched him, connecting only because he hadn't expected it.  "I am now," I told him, as he dropped to the ground and rolled--as if I'd really had some force behind my fist, which I hadn't.  (page 104, mass market paperback edition)
Vampire with shotgun--it seems a little like Jaws with a chain saw, too much of a good thing.  (page 181, mass market paperback edition)

Book Info:
  • pages - mass market paperback, 287
  • published - January 2010
  • publisher - Ace
  • genre - urban fantasy
  • series - Mercedes Thompson
    • Moon Called | Review
    • Blood Bound | Review
    • Iron Kissed | Review
    • Bone Crossed
    • Silver Borne | Review
    • River Marked | Review
    • Frost Burned
    • Night Broken
    • Shifting Shadows (anthology)