10 August 2010

Sucks to be Me by Kimberly Pauley

Mina Hamilton's parents want her dead. (Or undead to be precise.) They're vampires, and like it or not, Mina must decide whether to become a vampire herself. But Mina' more interested in hanging out with best friend Serena and trying to catch the eye of the too-hot-for-high-school Nathan Able than in the vampire training classes she's being forced to take. How's a girl supposed to find the perfect prom date and pass third-year French when her mom and dad are breathing down her neck--literally?

I despise the "oh my gawd, so gorgeous!" mind set.  Good looks does not a good man make.  In other words, JUST because a guy is "oh lord, so hawt!" does not mean that that somehow makes him into THE perfect man.  In looks perhaps.  Seriously.  If I guy screws up my name, I'm gonna be ticked and no amount of good looks will change that.  Inviting himself over?  Not cool.  Just trying to get close to the vampire parents? Nooo...not gonna fly.  So.  Aubrey ticked me off.  A lot.  As well he should.  I mean, the guy has a girl's name.  I acknowledge that I'm stereotyping but in this case, I am right.  The dude is a shmuck.

The humor says it all.  We all know that I am a sucker for funny books.  Mina and her friends were hilarious.  I love the little cards at the top of each chapter that dictate a Myth and the Truth.  Some myths I haven't even heard of.  Very entertaining.

I enjoyed the idea.  There was a much different, real-life take on vampires in this book. Real life issues were thrown into the vampire world--like George growing up in foster care, etc.  The cheerleader, the Goth, the jock.  The only part I thought was overdone was the ending.  A bit too cliche for me.

The whole Turning deal was different, too, which I liked.  No biting necessary, just eight ounces of vampire blood and you're a newbie.  Abracadabra.  There were a lot of predictable aspects, though.  Perhaps unavoidable in some places but others I saw coming a mile away.

Mina didn't completely tick me off.  Which was a huge plus.  While she had the whole self-deprecating, "oh lord I'm so fat!" mindset occasionally, she was stubborn and edgy in different ways that made her tolerable.  I actually really liked Mina's character.  Even if she does think that the "In" crowd are a group of people to aspire to.

Aside from some really cliche characters tossed in with really original ones partnered with a fresh take on vampires, "Sucks to be Me" is a refreshing read.  The style is clear, concise and funny, displaying the characters plainly and without fluff.  I'm surprised that I've just now picked this up.  It feels like it just came out, even though according to Goodreads, it was published in 2008...which doesn't feel right.  So I might have to research further on that.

If you're looking for a new vampire book without all the dark, gore and sex, "Sucks to be Me" is the book you might wanna look into.

Book Info:
  • pages - hardcover, 293
  • published - August 2008
  • publisher - Mirrorstone
  • genre - urban fantasy
  • Summer Reading '10 - #24