04 August 2010

Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer

Artemis has committed his entire fortune to a project he believes will save the planet and its inhabitants, both human and fairy. Can it be true? Has goodness taken hold of the world's greatest teenage criminal mastermind?

Captain Holly Short is unconvinced, and discovers that Artemis is suffering from Atlantis Complex, a psychosis common among guilt-ridden fairies--not humans--and most likely triggered by Artemis's dabbling with fairy magic. Symptoms include obsessive-compulsive behavior, paranoia, multiple personality disorder and, in extreme cases, embarrassing professions of love to a certain feisty LEPrecon fairy.

Unfortunately, Atlantis Complex has struck at the worst possible time. A deadly foe from Holly's past is intent on destroying the actual city of Atlantis. Can Artemis escape the confines of his mind--and the grips of a giant squid--in time to save the underwater metropolis and its fairy inhabitants?

  • Eoin Colfer brings his signature your-gut-hurts-from-laughing-so-hard humor.  I think, besides the idea, the humor was what really got me to read these books. You just know that if you pick up an Eoin Colfer book, it's going to be funny.  Eoin Colfer himself is hilarious and I love listening/watching/reading his interviews, etc.  The seventh installment in the epic adventures of Artemis Fowl seamlessly joins in with the others.  I absolutely love books that make me laugh.  
  • Humor isn't the only thing.  The idea doesn't disappoint.  Now I know just how much Eoin Colfer puts into his work.  I had figured that the sixth book (Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox) was the end.  Somewhere, I found that the sixth book was the last book.  And so, when I discovered that a seventh book was being written, I was pretty psyched.  A part of me, however, wondered if it would be as good as the other books since it was so sudden.  But it was as if Eoin Colfer had planned this all along.  A fantastic story.
  • There are always twists.  It never fails.  I was reading...dada da da da...and BOOM!  Out of the blue, something completely takes me away and I'm left going, "WHOA!"  Usually accompanied by laughter.  XD  It makes me wonder, where the heck does Eoin Colfer get his ideas!?  He really is someone to aspire to.
  • Eoin Colfer sets the stage.  Going in, I sensed something immediately different about the writing style.  It was a bit...hmmm...well, I wasn't quite sure exactly what was different about it.  It seemed edgier, deeper, more mature.  Which makes sense, considering Artemis was getting older.  However, what Eoin Colfer was doing--it seems--was brilliantly laying the stage for Artemis's disorder.  The very writing was different, in time with Artemis's paranoid thoughts and actions.
  • There are no character inconsistencies.  I always fear for books when the series get longer and longer.  The characters usually change so much that you just can't stand them anymore.  Or the idea flops, etc.  But this book just fits right in.
  • I don't want to get specific and spoiler-y, but I was disappointed that Minerva continued her absence.  I mean, she was there in the fifth book and then...just, gone.  There was really something building there, why didn't Eoin Colfer put more into that?  That's why, frankly, I was so shocked about the little...eh...romantic aspect of the sixth book.  (Don't comment any spoilers!)
  • Eoin Colfer really need to get Artemis a girlfriend.  I mean...really. XD
  • Is this the end?  The way that Eoin Colfer brought together things from the very first book, I fear that perhaps this is the last book.  NO!  I can't go through the stress of guessing again.  With the sixth book, I was so distraught.  I wanted more books!  Is this, for real, the end?
  • "The Atlantis Complex" ties for first as my favorite Artemis Fowl novel.  Originally, the fifth book (Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony) had been my favorite.  Like I said, I really liked the building relationship with Minerva.  There was just something about the whole book that I liked.  And while I appreciated the sixth book (Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox) time travel always confuses me.  But this book definitely ties for first.  I could definitely reread this. :)
  • The Cover:  WHAT DID THEY DO!?  The hardcover editions of books 1-6 had a specific, recognizable style.  And then I pick up the seventh book at Borders and its....what is it?!  The style is just GONE.  Instead, there's this goofy-admittedly-cool logo i.e. the "AF".  But I mean...why suddenly change the style?!  Theory from The Dad: The logo signifies that they're probably going to be coming out with a movie soon.  Double check from the Daughter (aka, me): No listing on IMDB about an Artemis Fowl movie.  [HOWEVER!  They do have plans for "Airman" to be released 2011!!]
  • Short and simple fact: it is, without a doubt, a statement of fact that I will always and forever love the Artemis Fowl books.
 Book Info:
  • pages - hardcover, 432
  • published - August 3rd, 2010
  • publisher - Hyperion • Disney
  • genre - children's sci-fi/fantasy
  • rating - 5/5
  • Summer Reading 2010 - #23
  • series - Artemis Fowl
    • Artemis Fowl
    • Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident
    • Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code
    • Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception
    • Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony
    • Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox
    • Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex
    • Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian