28 August 2010

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

A Prodigal Son


A Dangerous Love


A Deadly Secret


Grace Divine--daughter of the local pastor--always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared and her brother Jude came home covered in his own blood.

Now that Daniel's returned, Grace must choose between her growing attraction to him and her loyalty to her brother.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, she learns the truth about that mysterious night and how to save the ones she loves, but it might cost her the one thing she cherishes most: her soul.


You can tell by my rating that I don't really have the hots for this book.
  • The main character did nothing for me.  If you've read my reviews before, you'll know that I enjoy books with strong, female protagonists (main characters).  Grace...eh...didn't really perform up to par for me.  She was too generic--flighty, weak, not a lot between her ears.  The only characteristic I got out of her was that she was bossy and even that didn't hold up very well.
  • There were, at times, good strong parts that got you thinking that the author was leading into something big...but they didn't deliver.  It was predictable and there wasn't another defining theme that balanced that out, like humor, suspense or horror.
  • The writing style was a weak foundation.  I don't touch on author's writing styles unless they effect how I read the book.  In this case, I found myself distracted by the short, almost impersonal sentences and sparse description.  It did little to help Grace's character and made her seem even more like a ditz.  
  • The sub characters were underdeveloped.  I couldn't figure April's character out--whether they were good friends or not.  They certainly didn't seem like best friends. April just seemed like such a flake lusting after Jude.  Jude quickly lost credibility after the middle of the book and there wasn't a lot to Daniel's character either.  Being one of the main characters, I expected Daniel to be more rounded with more depth.
  • The take on werewolves offered some uniqueness.  It took me a while to figure out that, oh! it was supposed to be a werewolf book.  My respect for it dropped a few notches because of the characters.  Grace and Daniel's relationship seemed shallow to me--no substance even though they had a history together.
  • Overall, a very generic book.  I didn't really enjoy it and nothing good about it stuck in my mind.  It just...lacked.  
  • The Cover:  It was the cover that made me take a closer look at it.  Very cool cover, but I hate the font they used for the body of the book.  I love the colors, too.  Purple is my favorite color and some very impressive computer graphic techniques on the model--turning her legs chalk white.  Very nice touch.
Book Info:
  • pages - hardcover, 372
  • published - December 2009
  • publisher - EgmontUSA
  • genre - urban fantasy
  • series - Dark Divine #1
  • sequels - "The Lost Saint"
[This book is a part of the 2010-2011 Reading.]